1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6000 OTA active after upgrade to 622?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jimb, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimb

jimb AllStar

Feb 12, 2006
    When I get my new 622 and they de-activate the E* 6000 will the OTA tuner still be active? I'm hoping I can still get HD over the air on the 6000 after they turn off the dish channels. I'm keep the 6000 for my 2nd HDTV.

thanks

2. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    See I wanna do that as well in the future, I want to get an inexpensive 4:3 or 16:9 HD for a 2nd room and just use the 6000 for OTA especially since it would be upstairs and easier to get reception. Problem is I don't have a coax that goes up there. Does the 6000 need to be connected to Dish as well?

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know whether or not is has to be an activated receiver... but I'm pretty sure that it has to be connected to the satellite Dish and see at least one (110 or 119 or something) satellite in order for the OTA to function.

4. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    I dont think it has to be plugged in for the OTA to function, as much as it has to be connect to get the program guide information.

I believe, from what I have read in the past is, make sure you are not on a Dish station when you de-activate the 6000 (ie OTA station). Otherwise, the reciever may lock up if you go to a Dish station, where as if you are OTA you can still connect...

Do some looking with the search feature for this (im sick as a dog and too drugged up right now to sit and try to dig for it, hehe)

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The 6000 doesn't provide any OTA guide data.

6. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have a 6000 and need to know this, too. How about if somebody that actually knows the answer replies... :lol:

THANKS!

7. robill

robill Cool Member

May 13, 2005

I just dug my mothballed de-activated 6000 out and hooked it up. I let it download the latest software update. It's receiving OTA just fine. Of course, it does need to be looking at a satellite.
    One other thing, mine still has the old blue(not yellow) smart card, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

8. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Man, that was fast AND very helpful !

Thanks for going to all that effort. I know there will be many other folks out there that will appreciate this, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.