1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

61.5 will no longer work with Sea King Antennas

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wxx3, Mar 27, 2014.

1. wxx3

wxx3 New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    NE US
    If you have seen the issues I have had with Dish, then I finally had the final piece of the puzzle in place today.

For a few months, my antenna would only periodically lock onto 61.5 and at times it would do it in this annoying pattern of on-off-on-off 2 to 5 times per minute.

Finally today, King Controls confirmed that it is a change that Dish initiated sometime last year that makes it impssible for the Sea King to lock onto 61.5.

It works fine with 119 and 110, but as you guys know, so few good channels are on that bird.

It makes my saying goodbye and good riddance to Dish even faster.
    In my 30 years of dealing with cable companies, some I thought the very worst; Dish makes them all look better.

Dish from top to bottom is a POS.

Thanks All

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The antenna is probably looking for a QPSK transponder to lock on to. There is only one left at 61.5 (TP 14). The rest are 8PSK transponders. Perhaps if King updated their equipment to look for TP 14 at 61.5 it might lock in better.

The second half of the question is what do you expect to get? Most of the transponders on 61.5 are dedicated to local channels that are only legally available within their home markets. There are some "public interest" channels on TP 14. DISH has moved some of their 8PSK standard definition content to 61.5 from 72 but you need a ViP or XiP receiver to see that.

DISH continues to support the QPSK/MPEG2 standard definition receiver via satellites at 119 and 110. Your premise that "so few good channels" are on 119 and 110 is incorrect. It is the core location for SD subscribers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm guessing people using something like this amount to much less than 0.1% of Dish's customers so it's not surprising that their CSRs don't know about it. In fact when I google:

sea king site:dish.com

The only match I got was you asking about it on their forum last year. On the other hand, Sea King is still claiming on their website as of today that it works with all Dish sats including 61.5 even though someone there told you it hasn't worked since last year. So I'd say your issue is with Sea King.

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Don't blame Dish Network. 119 and 110 match to 129 not 61.5. If your locals are on 61.5 only, then you should be looking at 72 & 77 along with 61.5.

"Sea King" needs to update their products if they claim compatibility with Dish Network equipment.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    110 /119 have just about everything on Dish - all in SD (there are some transponders on 110 that an SD receiver will not show signal on). So the only issue is SD/ HD. And as pointed out - if you want HD programming with 61.5 - you really need to also get 72.7 (both HD and SD programming). I suppose there is also a faint chance that 77 needs to be covered as well....