1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 and homeplug

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by renpar61, Feb 23, 2009.

1. renpar61

renpar61 Legend

Aug 5, 2006
    Don't shoot me if this has been asked before: :(
    When using homeplug powerline devices, does the 622 work only if plugged directly on a wall outlet? Does the homeplug device?
    Anyone tried connecting these through a power strip or surge protector?

2. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Power strip or surge protector will block most of the homeplug signal. If you want to use that, you'll most likely need it plugged directly into wall.

I have my 622 and 722 both on power strips, and they do get a homeplug connection, but barely, and very slow connection this way.

The homeplug adapter near your router should be directly into the wall also.

What I do is have a 2nd homeplug adapter near my receivers, a network switch, then I connect the receivers to this via ethernet cables, so I can have the receivers on a surge protector. I just don't feel comfortable with them directly into the wall.

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    There are power strips specifically made with a Homeplug compat outlet. I had to do some searching on the Internet to find one but they do exist. I plug my receiver into the Homeplug outlet on the strip and use the other outlets for other devices and it works fine.

4. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I think the newer Home Plug adapters are faster than what's built-in to the receivers. So, it's faster your way.

I used a separate Home Plug adapter also. Near my satellite receiver, I have one with four ethernet ports so I can plug in the DVR as well as my Blu-Ray DVD player that supports Netflix streaming. So far, it's working well.

-- Roger

5. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    PS, if anyone wants some nicely priced homeplug adapters, Fry's puts the Airlink 101 adapters on sale occasionally for some super low price, like $24.

They are 85mbps adapters, not as fast as some more expensive ones, but for me they work great, and can't beat the price.