1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 & Component Output

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by joeblowstein, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 9, 2006 #1 of 14
    joeblowstein

joeblowstein New Member

May 9, 2006
    Hey, quick question. My 721 died and I need to get a new receiver. I have a Sharp project capable of 720P, but it only has a Component input. In looking at the 622, I don't see anything that says they downconvert Component output. So right now I am under the impression that the Component output provides the same resolution as the HDMI.

So I am leaning towards getting the 622. But I'd really like to get a sense for whether there is a chance that I'll get screwed in a few months with downconverted content on the component output. After all, $300 is a lot of money to put out for HD when there is a chance that it could just evaporate in an instant.

Thanks. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched through the forum, but didn't see anything that answered my question.

2. May 9, 2006 #2 of 14
    dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    The 622's component output is at full resolution, the same as HDMI output. I am certain Dish will not down res. the component output ever. They have their own agreements with content providers so I don't see this ever changing.

3. May 9, 2006 #3 of 14
    kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    You should be safe. I bought a HDMI to Component transcoder just in case though. ;)

4. May 9, 2006 #4 of 14
    joeblowstein

joeblowstein New Member

May 9, 2006
    Thanks. How does a transcoder help? If they downres component, won't the HDMI also contain info indicating that it can't be output to analog? What transcoder did you buy? If it can't be forced to downres, I would buy one too.

Thanks.

5. May 9, 2006 #5 of 14
    nazz

nazz Legend

May 4, 2006
    I thought that was the Holy Grail. That would relieve my concerns about HD DVD players with my component dependant home theater setup.

6. May 9, 2006 #6 of 14
    dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    Unfortuantely this only works if the content isn't DHCP protected.

7. May 9, 2006 #7 of 14
    nazz

nazz Legend

May 4, 2006
    Darn. Not that I would use such a thing of course. :engel02:

8. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Which is why it's nice that my transcoder is HDCP compliant. Search avsforums for "moome". He's the guy who makes them.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It would have been nice if they'd chosen another name for another acronym than HDCP... since I've seen more than one person call it DHCP in error... which is an entirely different thing!

:)

You got it right, but others haven't.

Back to the topic sort of though... I was not aware that there already were HDCP compliant transcoders. I am an early adopter with my HDTV so I don't have HDMI or DVI inputs so I am out in the cold with the new HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I'm balking for now on the format wars anyway, but had figured I wouldn't get reliable value with a new player if the HDCP flag ever was turned on... but if there are ways around that already, that is good news.

I'm not for stealing... but am miffed that they want to leave so many of us honest early adopters out in the cold by the potential for downconverting over component. Hopefully this will not rear its head in the satellite receiver world, but it wouldn't surprise me in the future if people accept it with their DVD players.

10. chadh

chadh Cool Member

Mar 9, 2006

I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you saying the transcoder is HDCP compliant, and it downconverts the component when flagged. Or, is it HDCP compliant but ignores the flag to downconvert the components.

Chad

11. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    It doesn't downconvert. A downconverting transcoder would have limited value. Having said that, I don't know that anything I've watched has the flag. However, I know others who have purchased this unit that have indicated that it handles the flag appropriately and does not downconvert.

By the way, I misspoke in my earlier post. The box takes a component or DVI signal and converts it to analog VGA (with a 15-pin connector). I use a breakout cable to connect this to the 5-BNC connectors on my projector. So it's really a DVI to VGA analog and a component to VGA analog transcoder. Here's a picture of it from the seller's site:

[​IMG]

12. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    To many acromyns not enough time. I'd just been working on my DHCP router before writing my blurb.
    I need to clarify HDCP is NOT a flag. It is an exchange of keys between two compliant devices that allow decryption of the digital signal. The host device queries the display for compliance then sends a key to that display to decrypt the signal.
    That is why the new HD DVD's won't work, if protected, over a DVI interface, a HDMI interface is required since HDMI is bidirectional.

The broadcast flag is something different, although it may depend on HDCP to protect an interface.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My understanding has been that the new broadcast flag (should they ever enable it for something) is dependent upon HDCP. Not that one necessarily has to require the other, except that whatever "standard" for the flag has been adopted was one that required HDCP.

I over-simplified that part earlier in my reply. 'course until something comes out with the flag enabled, I guess we won't really know what will happen.

14. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The TV1 output can be set to 480i, 480p (default), 720p or 1080i.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.