1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 Daily Random reboots (Split from Support Forum)

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by s_cipris, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s_cipris

s_cipris Cool Member

Feb 6, 2003
    I am glad I waited before getting the 622. I probably will cancel my E* sewrvice as soon as D* comes out with their Mpeg4 HD-DVR. This garbage is typical of Doish. I went through all this crap with my original 501 and will not be a jerk again.

I have to believe that D* has not come out with their HD DVR yet because they want to work out all the problems before releasing it.

I am so sick of being a beta tester for all the dish garbage. I cannot imagine why you people feel that you must stay with Dish and put up with their crap and their inferior 622 junkbox. TV viewing is supposed to be enjoyable and not such a hassle. I do not think I will shell out my money for this junk. Good luck to anyone who suffers from undying allegiance to Diash Network and their inferior equipment.

Steve C

2. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Just make sure you take a quick peak at the D* boards for their latest DVR. You may be in for a shock if you switch to D* for a superior product.

3. johnputnamjr

johnputnamjr New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Have had the 622 for about a week - watching a recorded event last night (while recording The Sopranos) and the system re-booted. Entire family yelled at me for changing the 921 (that was finally acting OK after almost 2 years). Missed about a 5 minute gap in The Sopranos and then spent another 20 minutes fuming...

If it is heat related it should be recalled. The equipment should be tested in closed locations and not sold / leased until safety clears the product. I hope my dang television receiver does not burn the freakin' house down.

4. s_cipris

s_cipris Cool Member

Feb 6, 2003
    LtMunst:
    The problems are with the HR10-250 which is an mpeg2 DVR. I will wait till they come out with the 4mpeg HD DVR later this year.

Just keep reading these messages and all the problems with the 622. You cannot sit down to enjoy an evening of TV without all the reboots, missed recording, out of sync audio and skipped parts of picture.

Apparantly the 622 is another piece of Dishcrap that was released way before it was ready. Anywhere from $299 to $499 for that garbage is ridiculous. I want to relax and enjoy TV without all the headaches. Dish should hang their head in shame for releasing this unfinished product. Maybe future software upgrades will correct the problems, but Dish track record stinks in that respect.

Steve

5. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I have been enjoying many evenings of TV with my 622 for two months now. There is the odd problem every now and then but it is short lived. I have had only 1 reboot while watching or recording programs in two months. As far as I am concerned it is a great receiver and I do expect the remaining bugs to be corrected over the next several software updates. Your experience must have been a bit different, but don't think everyone's was as you describe it. :nono:

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Ok I split the Daily repoot thread and dumped the bash related posts into the HD area.

7. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I am glad to hear that some people are having good luck with their 622.

I on the other hand enjoyed the first day switching from my 921 to the 622, the features are so much better. however the box has been a night mare. I can make it fail (re-boot) on demand. all I have to do is play with the PIP and now I discovered a second way to make it fail on demand If I want to watch a recording in progress and I ask to start from the beginning. It re-boots. Funny but this is the reason I got a DVR, so I can let it record ahead, so I can skip commercials when I want.

To me that is basic DVR function.

Over the weekend I purchased a fan that sits under the receiver, thinking that it may be getting hot. That did not help.

The good thing is that as long as I do not change channels while it is recording or try to use the PIP. It works like a charm...!:D

I am getting a replacement today....Let see how this one turns out.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Please do report back socceteer. People that are experience what I would consider extreme issues and get a replacement should report back if it helped or not. I have one on the way and plan on doing the same.

9. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Got it....sorry

10. Zvi

Zvi Cool Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I don't think it's heat related, at least not for mine. My 622 manages to go into reboot mode while turned off. Obviously if the unit is off there's nothig to overheat, yet once in a while it boots anyway.
    Another consistent problem is that 50% of the times when I turn on the unit while it is recording the picture freezes and I have to boot the damn thing. Resulting a gap in the recording.

11. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    No need to be sorry. :D

What I think would be useful for all is that if people that are running into stability issues that are outside acceptable limits, does a box swap fix the issue in most cases.

I plan on creating a thread to have people chim in. Another people of information as we try and establish why some are seeing these issues while others are not.

12. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Reason I have to stay with Dish is simple. When I was de-Voomed I had to go w/ either Dish Directv. Directv wanted 600 to convert and Dish wanted 299. Then I was tied into an 18 month contract w/ Dish. So when the 622 came out I wanted the larger amount of HD which I had when I was on Voom. When Dish starts rolling out the MPEG 4 it is still going to have more HD than Diretv. Now that you are sitting on your can waiting for the perfect machine I will be having some minor problems but watching alot more HDTV than you. Also I have been an engineer for over 30 yrs and I want my HDTV. The competetion between the 2 companies is what makes us all better off. So don't come on the forums w/ a high horse attitude. If you think that Directv doesn't have problems w/ their equipment then you are living in a fools paradise.

13. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Has anyone else experience these symptoms? I have on my screen lines that are vertical over the picture. 1 is more promenent than the others. If the pict is in HD it is over the left side of it. It also shows over the gray bars it it is pillar boxed for 4 X 3. It picture is watchable but it irratating.

14. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Take a picture of what you are seeing watchel1 and post it. Pictures usually are woth a 1000 words with what you are describing.

15. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

The D* MPEG4DVR will be made by the same folk as the HR10-250.

As far as the 622, I have in fact been sitting down and enjoying plenty of evening TV with minimal issues. I am confident that in a couple of months this thing will be as rock solid as the 942.

So go ahead and jump to D* for a "better" DVR. All the evidence suggests otherwise. Good Luck!

16. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    i have to say - my FIRST 622 was horrible - 2-3 resets PER viewing (and im lucky if i get to watch more than 1-2 hours a day) - HOWEVER, i got a replacement 622 and i havent had a single reset since (this was about 2 weeks ago)

if youre having problems with resets - i would contact dish - get to the tech support people (because they speak and understand english and seem to know what they are doing) and explain the situation

but if im reading correctly...the op doesnt even have a 622...? either way - the point is VERY valid - i had an 811 before this 622 and that thing was horrible as well - youd figure that dish would get a piece of hardware fully functional before sending it out to the consumer (in all honestly i should NOT have had to get a replacement in the first place - i paid for it - it was brand new - it should have worked out of the box)...

17. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Of course it should have worked right out of the box. But, you're in the real world and stuff happens. I've bought a number of electronic items over the years that were actually DOA. That includes equipment from HP (back when it was a quality brand), Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Epson, IBM, etc.

In this case, we're early adopters - we know that we're among the very first people to own this box. If you want to purchase with more confidence, wait a while ... say 6 months or so. Those of us with 921s have until August on the current deal. If you're concerned about quality/problems wait until we know how it will all turn out.

18. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    no doubt "stuff happens" - it just seems A LOT more preminent with dish network's items - i bought an 811 after it had been out for a LOT longer than a year and it still didnt work correctly - in fact, if you mosey on over to the 811 forum, youll find people that are STILL dealing with problems - it took over 2 years for the 921 to BEGIN working correctly

it seems like time doesnt matter with dish network - youre more likely than not to get a defective unit --> unacceptable

19. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Thanks for suggestion but the line is not going to show in a pix. It doesn't have enuff contrast for a screen picture of a monitor to show it. If it gets worse maybe it will show. I have to admit I'm very picky about pictures. It's part of the job as a broadcast engineer.

20. AdamGott

AdamGott AllStar

Nov 29, 2005
    I just replaced my 622 about a week ago and have had no reboots since then. When I called to get it replaced the guy looked through the list of known issues and the random reboots issue directed him to replace my receiver (something that I already knew!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.