1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 Digital Optical Audio Output

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by DBS_Derek, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBS_Derek

DBS_Derek New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    622 was installed last week and I'm quite pleased. No problems to report via HDMI to HD TV1 or Coax to SD TV2. I moved over from SF Bay Area Comcast and I'm totally happy with all of the receivers capabilities, picture quality and DVR interface.

Only problem I cannot overcome is sending audio to my JVC stereo receiver (RX-888V) via Digital Optical. I can see the optical cable is "hot" (I see the red beam) and I'm connecting to one of two optical inputs on my receiver but I'm unable to get sound. I'm getting 5.1 sound via my DVD player just fine. Since the JVC receiver has 1 coax and 2 optical inputs I've played around with the settings but to no avail. I should be able to tell the receiver the TV/DBS audio input is Analog or Digital but that button is not 'enabled'.

What are the proper DD settings on the Dish receiver to be able to listen to audio on TV or Stereo?

BTW, audio via RCA cables to the stereo receiver works fine. I also tried unsuccessfully hooking-up S-Vid and RCA-Vid just to see if it made a difference to get stereo audio.

Although this may be a stereo receiver issue, any tips would be appreciated!

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    :welcome_s derek

You want to be set for Digital on your receiver first. The optical is a digital connection. Lots of times receivers have a configuration to tell what input the optical goes with. Mine does this and I have to specially set it for TV.

Make sure the 622 is set to PCM/DD even thought it seems that if PCM or DD only is selected it still will work.

That is all you should need to do from the receiver side. If I was you, Look at your receiver manual. Depending on the make or model and year, configuration can be a bit tricky and most of the time this issue comes up it is a receiver issue.

Also.. Everything is not in going to come out in DD. The shot must be set up for DD for DD to actually be sent to the receiver. The HD Voom stuff usually has something in DD you can test with.

3. hgeyer

hgeyer Mentor

Dec 3, 2004
    Two things to check:

1. reiterating one of Ron's points, not all Dish channels output Dolby Digital. Mostly its the HD channels. If your receiver is set to DD-only, it may not process the audio.

2. test your cable. I had a long (15') cable that didn't work. I bought a shorter 6' cable and everything was fine.

4. ASOT

ASOT AllStar

Apr 7, 2006
    Yep... I had the same problem. I had to go back a read the A/V manual on how to set up a digital input.

Ron

5. sdsanta

sdsanta Cool Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I returned two optical cables with my old AIWA receiver before I realized I had to configure the input for digital. It was buried in the manual.

6. DBS_Derek

DBS_Derek New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Problem resolved! The reason why I was not getting audio through my JVC receiver (via digital optical) is because I needed to re-name the display label from "TV Sound" to "DBS Digital".

The JVC receiver manual says, "Note: Without changing the source name, you can still use the connected components. However, there may be some inconvenience."

Oh man! I missed the small print about the inconvenience. In any case, I'm good-to-go with DD & 5.1. As stated earlier, I have no complaints so far. Dish & HD is awesome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.