1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 IP Connect

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by DishTSR3Mentor, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 49
    DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    I don't know if this has been stated or not, but Dish now supports IP Connect on the 622 and 722 receivers.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 49
    cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    What is it?

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 49
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Now"? Perhaps you're reading ahead. It's not in the software customers have.

IP Connect is the ability for a receiver to "report in" over an Internet connection instead of a phone line.

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 49
    cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    Oh that'd be awesome since my modem is fried (it's been confirmed). Is this a feature that'll be on the next software update with the external USB hard drive support?

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 49
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    This was originally planned to be implemented in mid August, but has been postponed.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 49
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    External USB support or IP Connect Jim and where did you hear that it was postponed.. Was this through official channels or is it a rumor? I always recommend when indicating a feature has been postponed, be sure to clarify if the postponed statement was from Dish directly or second hand. Avoids confusion and flame ups that delay announcements can cause. :D

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 49
    DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    ok... without showing too much of my hand here.... I will just say that the IP Connect Feature will be released much sooner than anyone on this board has mentioned. And I know this to be a fact. I just cannot mention when since I'm unable to do that and keep my job at the same time. heh.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 49
    JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002

DishTSR3Mentor,

According another DBS forum, the software is suppose to start spooling for both External Hard Disk support and IP Connect on August 8th (Its in the same Firmware release). The Firmware release is a staggered one and will not be downloaded to all 622's until August 15th.

Dish will not enable any subscribers External Hard Disk until August 15th.

John

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 49
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not to hijack the thread... but this is actually on-topic for this feature...

With impending IP-connection features for the ViP622, I have started looking around for Ethernet options. I have a router in my main computer room but nowhere else in the house. I do not have, or want for that matter, wireless connectivity.

So.. I have been looking at Homeplug compatible devices. I have Ethernet-100Mbit in the house, which is far superior to the 6Mbit Internet connection I have, so no issues there.

What caught my eye today, on Amazon, was something from Actiontec. The Actiontec MegaPlug 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter Twin-Pack is available there for $59.99 with free shipping. There's actually a $15 rebate through 9/1, FYI... but even without the rebate this is the cheapest I've seen for a 2-pack of powerline ethernet adapters and you need at least two to work :)

I see no need to spend the big bucks for 100-Mbit or higher capability when the primary need is to connect my Dish receiver, and as noted above my Internet is only 6Mbit so the 85-Mbit for this adapter will more than suffice.

Anyone here know anything about Actiontec or this product in particular? If its good, I might invest in another to use with my laptop in another room.

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I hope it comes true JohnL, but I always fall back to my signature line. :D

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Last month it was reported that it was postponed, but I just learned today, from the same reliable source (on another forum) that it will be in a new software download on 8/9/2007.

12. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Ok.. This is coming from my software background....

Same reliable source that said it was postponed just a month ago and if it does release on 8/9 would make that prediction wrong.. Wouldn't it?? ;) Don't mean to bust your chops, but based on what I have read over the last two years on Dish software releases there is no such thing as a reliable source or a date you can bank on. It is software and we have seen what appears to be a release pulled the day it was shown to be going out.

I am not questioning that the reliable source is not providing a date he/she was told.. It is just my opinion that these dates should be taken with a grain of salt and if it happens great and if it does not well the date is just a date and when it comes down to it the only people that really know if that day is going to happen is the people close to the software process or the people giving the thumbs up or thumbs down at zero hour.

Where I work, we give out projected dates all the time. These dates trickly up and as soon as they do they are stale and in reality it is the people close to the software that have a feeling of the true date because the closer you get to the projected release date the better feeling these people have if it needs to be pushed out/in or de-scoped. I have seen these projected dates used by people not close to the process much later in the time line and as a result confusion gets created. Thus the reason I say... "A release is not a release until it is released".

Like I said, hopefully it turns out to be true.. But in my opinion when dates are thrown out they should not be taken as fact but as a mere possibilities. As to reliability.. well that is usually determined by time and matrix on accuracy.. Two things I have never seen associated with any reliable source stating dates on Dish software released.

Like I said Jim, this is not directed to you or any particular person on the net... Just an opinion of mine on the what stated software dates on the internet mean to me... I have seen too many times these dates causing a lot of anger when they are not meet.

13. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
  14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes Barry, the best thing to do is relax and enjoy what you have! :)

As for the rumor site ... they have been right before and wrong many times.
    I'm not interested in rumors. If this becomes a site bashing thread it will be closed.

15. DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    IP Connect starts 8/9 people... I'm not trying to push anybody's buttons but I should know... look at my screen name.... really.

16. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well we will see what happens come the 9th and as Forest would say.. And that is all I have to say about that. ;) And like I said.. if it happens great. I just wanted to put my light on it so to try and avoid the.. "Dish broke another promise" type of thread..

Oh.. and I personally don't follow the rumors.. Use to, but been around to long to see the result of a enough of them to know I would rather focus on the issues of today, keep a ear to the future as it seems bright and continue putting my efforts on improving the quality of the 622 receiver through our community.

17. TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince AllStar

May 10, 2007
    Vonage
    prepare for disconnect in 3, 2, 1...

Best news I have had in at least a month...

18. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Definitely the more options one has to call home with the 622 the better.

theFunk..
    Its all good..... My comment was a general comment about software updates, time lines, features, etc. leaked on the internet. We each make the judgment on reliability of each claim and everyone is welcome to theirs. Lets hope the timeline is correct because I know some people that would benefit from IP connect and there are a lot of people chomping at the bit for external USB support... But like it has been said before.. Patience is a virtue and the best we can hope for that when it arrives it is ready for prime time. Early does no good if it is not stable.

Well Lets turn this back on topic of IPConnect. I think I have clarified my point enough... August 8th is just a few days away and this is definitely a nice goody so I do hope we see it soon.

19. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    I think what threw us off (at least me) is in your original post that said "Dish now supports IP Connect on the 622 and 722 receivers."

It's not "now" that it supports it, but more like, it will be.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is a theoretical danger in using homeplug with DishComm since both reportedly utilize your home's power grid. I would confirm the method employed by DishComm before I invested in HomePlug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.