1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 phone line

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Lmcdonald50, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lmcdonald50

Lmcdonald50 New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    What is the reason that they say you have to have a phone line hooked up to the new 622 or you have to pay a monthly fee of $6.00 per month. I do not have a phone line in the receiver area. Is there a wireless adapter I can attach to one of my phone outlets?

2. GATER

GATER Mentor

Mar 16, 2006
  3. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    This is false, the program guide is downloaded from the satellite.

This is true. And to make sure the receiver is where it belongs and not at a friend or relative's house.

4. Lmcdonald50

Lmcdonald50 New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Gater,
    Thanks for the update to my question.

5. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    it can't be for this, because they charge this even if it's the only receiver you have. in which case, it really wouldn't matter who's house it was at, your bill would still be the same bill.

I haven't looked thoroughly, but i'm starting to suspect it's a charge for boxes with On Demand, since Dish needs a way to make sure the movies are paid for if ordered, along with the normal ppv purchases. If they were concerned about giving the receiver to your friend, there would be a similar charge on every install with 2 or more rcvrs and not all plugged to a phone line.

the other possible reason that seems logical, is the new dishcomm or whatever it is that allows only one of the receivers to be plugged in, yet dish to track them all thru the ac line or such. Since the 622 is such a beast, I could see all future boxes which would be expected to be the one making the calls as having this monthly fee for not having a phone.

6. mikeyoung

mikeyoung Mentor

Jan 15, 2006
    They want to track what you are recording and sell the info to someone.

7. GATER

GATER Mentor

Mar 16, 2006

8. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    This is very valuable data. Anyone ever had a Nielson (sp?) Box? Same type of data. I am not sure that any viewing habits are collected at this time, but it is a VERY possible business move on E*'s part.
    The phone line fee is only applied to Dual-Tuner receivers that are not plugged into phone lines. If you think about it, a 322 plugged into a phone line and running 2 rooms is a cheaper bill that the one with 2 single tuner 311s running two rooms. If you are beiong hit up for the phone line fee, then you are basically just paying for the 2nd room that a dual tuner receiver is hooked up to (I know, sometimes the dual tuner is only hooked up to 1 TV).

9. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    These are great. Just make sure you get DSL filters if you have DSL.

10. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    So if you don't plug it in you just get the extra fee then like an extra receiver??

11. jtp1947

jtp1947 Mentor

Feb 13, 2004
    Does caller I.D. work with that unit?

12. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Yep.

I think I may be correct on this but haven't researched to verify:
    The Downloaded EPG data is three days where as the dial up data is 9 days.
    I think this is correct?

13. chadh

chadh Cool Member

Mar 9, 2006
    All program guide info comes from the satellite. The 9-day guide comes from only one of the sats. So, if you had a setup without that particular sat, you would only get the 3-day guide.

Chad

14. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Your're not thinking this through. They certainly do care about where the box is located.... Here's way:

I sub the Everything Pack + Extras for $150/month.
    I can mirror an extra box for $5 (or a $6 lease fee).

If I was to mirror a box then "loan" it to a friend for $6/month, Dish loses $150-6=$144/month.

15. ShockerEngr

ShockerEngr New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    no, the 622 is a single box with two recievers, if I don't hook it up to a phone line, I get charged $6 a month for a second receiver. Since the box is a single physical unit, I can't just give the second receiver to a friend.

This is why I really wonder where the second receiver fee is coming from, and why a phone line would make it go away.

16. GATER

GATER Mentor

Mar 16, 2006
    The caller Id must be set up through the receiver not the Wireless Phone Jack. I dont think the Wireless Phone Jack has anything to do with the caller Id. I could be wrong though.

17. dadrad99

dadrad99 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    If you have a 622 and a 811 with no phone line, can Dish determine if you are using the 811 at another house?

18. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005

Only through an audit. ;)
    And the audit Natzis are hard at work. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.