1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

622 Remote Not Working, sometimes

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by festivus, Oct 18, 2010.

1. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    This is my TV1 remote, 5.3 I think. In the last week or so it's very slow to switch from controlling my surround to the TV. I hit the SAT button or the TV button and it won't turn the TV on. Sometimes takes me 2 or 3 times to get the TV to power on. Same with controlling the TV volume.

It seems to control the surround and the 622 without issue.

I'm not getting the weak battery message.

TV is a panny plasma.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The most likely cause of any problems with an IR remote is IR interference. It's a very, very common problem, but tends to be more of a problem in dark rooms and with high-contrast content. It is most often a problem when you first turn on the TV, until the TV warms up (5-15 minutes).

The solution is usually to either block the IR light being put out by the TV, or moving the receiver further away from the TV. Turning on lights in the room also helps because the automatic gain for the IR sensor makes the sensor less sensitive.

3. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    to me that sounds like the remote buttons are dieing. If you are on the service plan just call up for a new one. Or buy one. IMHO it isn't worth the aggravation of having a wonky remote. They are not very expensive.

I'm having a similar problem with channel up/down and volume on one of the living room remotes. I keep forgetting to bring up the spare new remote still sealed in plastic from the basement to replace it.

Good Luck

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    it can't be IR interference from the TV since it is happening when the OP tries to turn on the TV. Plus I suspect that Plasma TVs don't cause that?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Plasmas absolutely DO cause IR interference.

6. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Well, I'm home now. TV was on for over an hour and I hit SAT and tried to change the volume on the TV. Hit the volume a few times and nothing was happening. Next thing I knew the AUX button starts lighting up and it's changing the volume on the surround.

I tried it now and it's working like it's supposed to work.:confused:

I'm guessing that it's the remote screwing up. I'll check if I have some type of service plan.