1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 setup questions before I take the plunge

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ixian, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixian

ixian Cool Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I was a Dish customer for years until 2002, when I bolted for Direct TV and the Direct Tivo - I just couldn't handle Dish's cruddy blue interface any more.

Times changed, DirectTivo lost some of it's luster of the years (and unless I am mistaken they are getting rid of it), and I moved. I've been in Austin, TX now for several months dealing with Cox cable, and I just can't take it any more.

I am very, very intrigued by the new 622 receiver because of my setup - I have my HDTV/Projector upstairs in my "Theater room", and two standard-definition TV's downstairs. Due to the layout of my house, running additional cables in the walls is very, very difficult, to the tune of one installer offering to either charge $500 in labor or run all the cables along the outside of the house in all their ugly glory. This situation is why I don't have DirectTV now in the new place. Now I read about the 622 and it appears to be designed for my needs - upstairs I can run two cables from the Dish/Switch through the attic to my receiver, which would be located in the room below and therefore is easy to access (I've already done this to run the cables from my projector).

Here is where I am a little confused: Can I then, from that location, hook up the "TV 2" Coax output of the 622 to my existing in-house Coax cable (it's fairly new and what my existing Cox service uses) and have that output to one or both of my standard TV's downstairs? I have one in the living room and one in my bedroom, both have existing Coax drops for the cable, and I have no need to watch them at the same time.

In my fantasy world, the main HDTV output would be upstairs in my theater, where I could watch stuff in all their HD glory, and the two downstairs TV's would still be able to view programs/DVR recordings when I wasn't using the one upstairs. An all in one solution with no need for a bunch of different receivers, cable runs, and shows recorded on different DVR's - is this the case? Will the 622 work for this? If so I am signing up today :)

Thanks for any advice.

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes Ixian, you can, providing you are certain you can back-feed from the 622 through your existing Cox coax. If your Cox coax comes in, in your attic, where your Dish switch will be located (remember you need A/C power for the DPP44 switch), then you could definitely back-feed from your 622 TV2 output, to your Cox coax entry, and supply the rest of the system. With the added bonus of your SD TV's will be able to view separate programming, either live or recorded, while you view different programming on your main TV1, either HD, SD, or recorded.
    You would need to "share" the TV2 remote for both of your SD TV's, or purchase an additional one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.