1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 -- TV2 aspect control / want native 16x9 pass-thru

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by plainsman, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    I've been trying to set TV2's aspect to 16x9 to play w/ it, prior to getting a new LCD screen for our 2'nd TV. Since I don't yet have the new TV, all this is conjecture except what I'm seeing for my current TV2 aspect choices when handling 16:9 content:
    -> letterbox inside a 4:3 screen, or,
    -> center of the 16:9 frame -- full height -- cut down to 4:3 aspect.

I think I want native/anamorphic 16:9 pass-thru ...

[ Yessss, I know the best connection I can get w/ TV2 is Svideo, a waste of all the vertical lines available on most new LCD sets ... ]

... but this TV's primary use will be 90% DVD, 10% TV -- I'm looking for a way to pass 16:9 thru w/o reformatting to fit the assumed 4:3 aspect of TV2.

I don't even know if Svid supports this or if the new LCD sets will allow this type of input option. I'd prefer not to waste the scan lines top/bottom of the letterboxed image.

Thoughts ? && thanks.

2. wje

wje Godfather DBSTalk Club

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    TV2 is strictly NTSC 4:3. No 16:9 passthru is possible.

3. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    Yes, I get that - but the 622 has a thing called 'firmware' which can be updated by Dish to fix problems and add new features ....

more seriously, are you stating fact as etched in known limits of the hardware or just describing the capabilities of TV2? Part of the rationale for this question was a request to dish for such a feature.

Given the stretched aspect of my [Svid 4:3] TV1 when watching 16:9, this looks like a no-brainer -- it should Just Work. They're actually doing more to letterbox or subsample to handle 16:9 on TV2.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you put the 622 in single mode, TV2 is now magically able to do anamorphic. This is true for ALL the outputs, RF, S-Video and Composite. So it's not that it CAN'T do it. It's that is WON'T do it. This is my biggest gripe of the 622! I know it can't do HD, but it certainly can do anamorphic 4x3 allowing all vertical lines to be used by us with a 16x9 TV 2!

See ya
    Tony

5. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    Tony - thanks for the reply! - I hadn't tried that experiment.

Dish - please consider this feature request to add a 3'rd dual-mode TV2 display format: direct pass thru.

thanks again.

6. wje

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    Since neither the RF modulator (which is NTSC), nor the svideo output can handle true 16:9, you're never going to get native 16:9, regardless of firmware.

Anamorphic is a possibility, but it's still going to be SD resolution. You might be able to fill the screen, but it won't be true HD. However, it might well be (although I haven't researched it) that the video processor itself can't do the anamorphic conversion when it's set up for two outputs. Then again, maybe it can. I imagine someone can comment on which case is true.

Note that I'm not saying what it should or shouldn't do, just pointing out the limitations of the hardware as far as I know them.

7. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    I wasn't looking for true HD from TV2; all I really want is to not letterbox the picture in the 622 and then unletterbox it in the LCD TV.

NTSC seems to support 16:9 just fine -- witness all the DVD players which output an NTSC signal while doing correct playback of an anamorphic DVD to their Svid outputs ... if the display is native 16:9 then all appears correctly w/o any loss of lines.

8. wje

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    I think we have a terminology mismatch. NTSC does NOT support true 16:9; 16:9 is reformatted into 4:3 by squeezing the frame. That can then be stretched back out, but detail has been lost and can't be recovered. TV2 will never be true, native 16:9. Neither are (non-HD) DVD players.

They used to output 4:3 in 480i or 480p, which was then stretched by the TV. Now, most DVD players handle that themselves, upconverting to 720 or 1080, doing the stretching (de-anamorphizing?), etc. It's still SD, though, and it's still essentially 4:3, just pre-stretched and converted to 16:9.

So, what you want is the 622 to convert 16:9 content to anamorphic 4:3, which your TV would then display by stretching, filling the screen. It's the TV itself that's doing the stretch to fill the screen, not the player (or 622, in this case). So, the 622 would have to not letterbox 16:9 content, but instead squeeze it and pass it as 4:3. Again, I don't know if the hardware can do it. If it can, then that could certainly be a software enhancement. If not, you're out of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.