1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 vs. 811 OTA tuner

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by hojo, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hojo

hojo New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    I'm considering leasing a 622. I'd like to know if the digital OTA tuner is better on the 622 or at least the same as the 811.I live in the Birmingham, Al DMA . And we are not on The list to get LIL hd via dish anytime soon. The last thing I want to do is lose any channels I currently get. But I'm hoping maybe to pull in the two stations(NBC, PBS) that are not very strong better. I live about 27 miles from most of the towers. I get CBS,Fox,WB,UPN, ABC very good. NBC good most of the time and PBS very sporadic at best. So if any of you have any experiences with both tuners please share any info.

2. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    I just replaced my 811 with a 622 and I haven't seen any problems with OTA. In fact I had a local station that took about 30 seconds to come in on the 811 but on the 622 it comes in almost immediately.

I don't have hard numbers but it seems that my signal strengths on the 622 are a little higher than with my 811.

3. kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    Did you think about getting a antenna amp or maybe a bigger antenna to pick up the weaker stations? Or maybe a rotor to turn your antenna to help maximize the signal.

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The orginal 622 review I believe has some comparision numbers.

http://www.dbstalk.com/622review/DBSTalkViP622Review.pdf

I also swapped an 811 with a 622 and noticed an improvement. Some have indicated worse performance, but most have indicated equal or better from the posts I have read.

5. hojo

hojo New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    I have a Cm 4228 with a cm 7777 preamp in the attic. I really don't want to put it on my roof. NBC comes in good enough and PBS would be nice in HD since our pbs station has a totally seperate hd lineup than their regular programming. But I can live without it. I just don't want to lose anything that I do have now,if i upgrade to a 622:).

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    i have the same configuration but I am in SoCal. I did not lose anything moving from my 811 to my 622. Ofcourse with OTA YMMV always applies.

7. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    I also have my antenna in my attic. I'm about 30-40 miles away from the towers, but I get everything fine. I wouldn't worry about moving to the 622 and having any OTA reception issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.