1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!
  1. LKG907

LKG907 Cool Member

Apr 30, 2003
    I've recently noted that the 625 has a location for an OTA antenna input.
    I've been hauling the receiver in the RV/Trailer and using it to play the recored movies and such. Are there other uses??
    With an antenna hooked up to the OTA input, will it get all of the OTA channels, or just the ones offered by Dish as locals? I find the sub-channels kind of interesting.
    Can I record the received OTA channels on the DVR? How do I program them in to the receiver?
    I just use rabbit ears in the trailer, but I'm always suprised at how many channels are available.
    Thanks,
    LKG907

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't have a 625, but I think it is just a passthrough... which means no actual tuner... it just passes through whatever signal you feed from something like a VCR.

Even IF it were a tuner, though, it would be an analog tuner... and not a digital one... which would mean no OTA channels, and definitely no recording of them.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    No dice, SOL, no ATSC tuner in 512/522/625 DVR.

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Depending upon your location when you a RV'ing, you can connect an outside antenna to that port, which is a pass through port, change your TV to the correct channel and can get locals from that area.

Depending how far you are from the transmitting tower, that will determine your signal strength.

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    That would only be true if the TV has it's own ATSC digital tuner. If the TV is NTSC analog, there will be few if any local stations available. Even Canada which still had many analog stations, finally converted to digital.

Since the RF output of the 625 is analog ch 3 or 4, chances are the TV connected to that post is analog only as well. Bottom line that pass-through is virtually useless today.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The only "tuner" that a 625 has are 2 Satellite tuners. As stated above - the "antenna input" on it is strictly a passthrough - any Digital OTA signals would need to be decoded by your TV.
    I used to have a 625 until I downgraded to a single tuner SD sat receiver.