1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

6yr 622 anniversary

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by plasmacat, Mar 12, 2013.

1. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Today marks 6 yrs since I got my 622 and it's still working fine. I hope I don't regret posting this.

2. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    You're lucky. Hard drives usually fail within three years. Do you have any power conditioning connected to the DVR?

You might want to see if you can get an upgrade to a 722 because it is only a matter of time before the hard drive fails on your 622.

3. MrDave

MrDave Cool Member

Jun 26, 2010
    My original 622 turned 7 years old this week. It was one of the first batch of 622's. My second 622 is a refurb unit that I've had for 3 years now and I believe to be of a similar vintage. These older 622s had a terrible reputation for their poorly-designed and fragile HDMI ports. However, if you're careful/lucky enough to avoid that pitfall then my experience has been that these older units can be pretty bulletproof.

Both my units are heavily used and are stacked in a single cabinet with a 24/7 external cooling fan and a surge protector. Reliability has been good with typically 2 or 3 crash/reboots per year between the 2 units. Over the years I've occasionally wished for 722s with their larger harddrives, but a friend with 2 722s has had to replace at least 3 units that I know of. I think that I'll just stick with what I have, be happy, and hope that bragging on them doesn't jinx me.

4. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I have no power conditioner. I will keep the 622 until it fails. I have an EHD with all the important stuff.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but with so many early posters who had to have their 622s replaced, I just wanted to share that I ordered my 622 the day they became available--February 1, 2006. I couldn't get an install date until February 21, but my 622 has lasted all this time with no problems. We paid $299 for the upgrade privilege then!

I have a Hopper install set for May 15, so after over 7 years of great service, I will be saying "goodbye" to my 622 (and 722), which has gotten tons of use and made my TV viewing nicer! Having that kind of reliability in an electronic device has been great!! :D

6. 79MI

79MI Mentor

Jan 23, 2004
    That's pretty impressive. My first 622 was installed mid-2007, I've since had 3 replacements. The first one lived in out in the main room, while the rest have been in a fan-ventilated AV closet. They've all lasted about a year and a half, give or take. Seems they charged about $200 to upgrade from the 522 back then. Still wouldn't give up the 622, as no one at Dish will give a straight answer on swap functions and such when it comes to a stand-alone Hopper. Good luck with your upgrade, be sure to report back.