1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

7 to 10 days, got yours yet?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by politico31, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2006 #1 of 170
    politico31

    politico31 Cool Member

    25
    0
    Dec 9, 2005
    I've been reading a lot of threads, but so far I have not seen anyone mention a delivery of a 622. My CSR said expect delivery shipment in 7 to 10 days. Nada so far. Has anyone received their receiver yet? Lots of rumors, but sure not much definitive info as yet!:scratch:
     
  2. Feb 7, 2006 #2 of 170
    tomcrown1

    tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

    1,576
    0
    Jan 16, 2006
    no receiver here, I as told by the CSR that the installer will deliver the VIP622
     
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #3 of 170
    lakebum431

    lakebum431 Icon

    615
    0
    Jun 30, 2005
    It's because it ain't gonna happen. They are delayed just like it was speculated prior to the release date. Looks like a whole bunch of hype to me.
     
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #4 of 170
    Jeff McClellan

    Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

    1,266
    0
    Apr 22, 2002
    My best advice is we are about 14 days away. But this is where speculation, or some say competition,:nono2: can kill the messenger. No matter who he is, no matter where he resides. I would think, that any delay is related to software and ensuring for durability. Come on, is there anyone here who thinks differently. So what if there is a delay, I would think if I was getting ready to fork out the money allot are, I would want a Mercedes, not a Yugo. So please, please, do what ever is needed to get me my Mercedes. I can wait a few extra days. Geez folks, it is only hard earned money you are talking about. What do you want? Instant gratification, or, a receiver with long term reliability and, maybe a few extras. Patience pays off in the end.:)
     
  5. Feb 7, 2006 #5 of 170
    IowaStateFan

    IowaStateFan Godfather

    270
    0
    Jan 11, 2006
    I want both :D
     
  6. Feb 7, 2006 #6 of 170
    Stewart Vernon

    Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

    21,487
    360
    Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    IF it is a hardware issue, then I would say wait and release when it is ready because hardware is much more difficult to "fix" in the field.

    BUT, if it is software that they can update remotely... then what's the point in delaying the shipment of the hardware when they are already charging people the $299 when they take the order?

    IF the $299 wasn't charged, then I would say wait and charge + ship when ready... but if they are making the customers who order pay now, then ship them a box now.

    I'm still debating which way to upgrade, so I haven't ordered yet... but I can understand people who already paid a chunk of change getting antsy.
     
  7. Feb 7, 2006 #7 of 170
    ChuckA

    ChuckA Hall Of Fame

    2,010
    0
    Feb 7, 2006
    How long you are willing to wait is generally based on your current situation. I have been wanting to upgrade to HD for a good while now. If I was going to do that, I might as well do DVR at the same time. While mulling over the high cost of a 921 the news breaks about the 622 and the new transmission format, basically making it a stupid move to acquire an available receiver/DVR at that point. So, I waited until 2-1 and ordered a 622. I was given a 2-25 install date and so far it has not been rescheduled. But, I also have not received the 7-10 day receiver delivery.

    Anyway, at this point I WANT HD. I have waited long enough. Being in the software business, I am accustom to working with things that are not perfect. I would greatly prefer to get my system installed now and enjoy HD while putting up with the software bugs while they are worked out. They will get it right sooner or later.:) If you currently have an HD/DVR system I can understand your desire to wait. But, I don't!
     
  8. Feb 7, 2006 #8 of 170
    Jeff McClellan

    Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

    1,266
    0
    Apr 22, 2002
    Then again, I say patience will pay off, and before the end of the month. My friends, you waited this long, can you just hold out a little longer. It will be worth it.
     
  9. Feb 7, 2006 #9 of 170
    Jeff McClellan

    Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

    1,266
    0
    Apr 22, 2002
    As far as who brings it, Dow Electronics is where allot of dealers get their supply from. So when the magic time comes, will it make more sense for your dealer to get it from Dow, or for Dish to ship it will all depend on your install date. A friend of mine, who is a dealer, naughty guy, said that some feel the units are shipping to the warehouses, some say none have left. I really don't know, but I will say this again, wait, wait, it will be worth it. Regardless of what you may hear.
     
  10. Feb 7, 2006 #10 of 170
    ChuckA

    ChuckA Hall Of Fame

    2,010
    0
    Feb 7, 2006
    I forgot to add, I placed the 622 order about 9:00am on 2-1 but the $299 charge did not quickly appear on my credit card account. It did show up today, so I am taking that as a good sign. Maybe my credit card company is just slow in processing charges...or maybe it just shipped...(well I can hope can't I?).
     
  11. Feb 7, 2006 #11 of 170
    James Long

    James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

    44,943
    872
    Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Let's say I was a manufacturer introducing a new 7" screen Internet enabled iPod. Being internet enabled it ships with just enough software to download the real application.

    The design works. I've taken it to trade shows and shown it off. And I've set a target to sell it - but something comes up.

    If it is a hardware issue could be a real pain. It is best when a unit leaves QC at the factory and remains untouched. Assembly lines are designed to take parts and funnel them efficiently into a whole. Fixes are rarely efficient. It would probably be better to play leapfrog and get the next batch out of the factory to the dealers and customers *IF* it were a hardware issue. As long as the factory starts cranking out good ones I would not let a hardware issue holding shipment.

    If it's a software issue I have a different pain. Do I ship them but refuse to let people download the 'real application' so their new toy has to sit in the box or do I let them download a sorta working 'real application' and live with the bugs? First impressions are important. Say it was a major problem - such as a flickering and rolling display. Would I want the first customers getting units with such a glitch? Would you want the first reviews to have the line "once they get it working"?

    Nope. I'd probably hold back in either case. No 7" iPod for anyone until I'm sure the experience will be positive. A tough decision.

    The catastrophic issue would be finding out after tweaking the software for a few weeks that the problem is in the hardware. If my iPods were still in the warehouse I could still fix them. If I'd sent them out I would have to do a recall. It's obvious that holding back my iPods until I was sure I had it right would be better.

    I don't know how this relates to E* ... but that's what I would do if I were making 7" iPods (other than being sued by Apple for using their trade mark).
     
  12. Feb 7, 2006 #12 of 170
    DAG

    DAG Legend

    224
    0
    Feb 7, 2006
    My story:

    Ordered 2/1 at 7:00 AM EST
    Told it would ship to me in 7-10 days as specially authorized by a supervisor.
    Credit charge charge already shows on my credit card account.

    Called Customer service today;

    Call #1- CSR with mediocre English skills. Not shipped yet, will be brought by installer, "we won't ship it because it is too fragile to set up" Must be "professionally installed". What about the special authorization I received to ship first when I ordered it? "We're sorry, we never ship the units first". Install date is still 2/25. But I want to be able to watch the Olypmpics in HD.....

    Call #2 1 minute later- CSR who spoke English better. "Hold on..." "It is in transit and you should have it in 7-10 days." Still scheduled for "professional installation" on 2/25.

    Now I know what you guys mean about CSR roulette. I know no more now than before I called the first rep today.

    BTW, will I get component cables with the install? I need an extra set since I will be adding a signal sensing component video switch. Or should I just go buy a decent set since the 622 ones are crappy quality....
     
  13. Feb 7, 2006 #13 of 170
    csschrot

    csschrot Cool Member

    28
    0
    May 1, 2003
    Well I talked to my sales rep in Denver Echo and they only plan on getting 40 or so in the first shipment. Also echo in Chicgo is normally the first to get any. I say you will be well into March before anything with decent numbers happens to ship. It won't be anywhere close to the 10,000 I read in another post a week or so ago here.
     
  14. Feb 7, 2006 #14 of 170
    Jeff McClellan

    Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

    1,266
    0
    Apr 22, 2002

    Yep.
     
  15. Feb 7, 2006 #15 of 170
    sunfire01

    sunfire01 AllStar

    85
    0
    Feb 6, 2006
    Just called dish to confirm they are shipping my 622, and the CSR said yes it will be here in 7-10 days!!???

    Cross your fingers, Jason
     
  16. Feb 7, 2006 #16 of 170
    scooby2

    scooby2 AllStar

    59
    0
    Nov 29, 2005
    No non-beta firmware spooling yet but I think the hardware would be in warehouses if there wasnt a hardware issue as well. My local rep said the first shipment is supposed to go out Friday but its not a lot for the whole country. Maybe 250 people or so will get lucky. Most of us will get to wait. His best guess was late February or March. My install was moved from 2/17 to 2/27 with potential to slide more.
     
  17. Feb 7, 2006 #17 of 170
    Stewart Vernon

    Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

    21,487
    360
    Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I suppose its possible that they could have an issue that they aren't sure if it is hardware or software... and while they might *think* it is software, until they get it working they don't want to have a bunch of hardware in the field that they might not be able to fix.

    Mind you this is rampant speculation on my part as I have no secret inner knowledge nor have I placed an order for anything myself just yet. I'm still sitting on the fence.

    The only part I can really chime in on is... if I had ordered and already been charged the $299, I completely understand those folks having a problem if their install date gets pushed out. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were paying for something that I wasn't sure when I was going to get it.... so I understand that complaint.
     
  18. Feb 7, 2006 #18 of 170
    bluewolverine

    bluewolverine AllStar

    53
    0
    Jan 21, 2006
    I'd say you made a perfectly sound case for delaying shipment of what I would estimate to be the thousands of orders for the 622 that Dish has taken. However, I cannot imagine anything that justifies the company taking funds from thousands of people in advance, probably well in advance, perhaps weeks in advance, of sending one single box out the door. Can anyone?

    Where I come from, there IS a term for this kind of business practice and it's not fair trade ;) :rolleyes:. And btw, the practice is neither illegal nor is it against any merchant agreement with the credit card issuers. I checked.
     
  19. Feb 7, 2006 #19 of 170
    James Long

    James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

    44,943
    872
    Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm no lawyer, but what is being paid is a 'lease upgrade fee' - it's not listed as the purchase of any equipment or service - it is just a fee for upgrading to a 622 lease.

    I'm also curious just how many 622s have been requested by customers. Never forget that we live in a bubble of technology buffs. Many on the bleeding edge. We're not typical subscribers.
     
  20. Feb 7, 2006 #20 of 170
    ronjohn

    ronjohn Cool Member

    16
    0
    Feb 2, 2006
    Even if it is a "Lease Upgrade Fee", I have not been upgraded yet. Also, the CSR said they would put a $1 hold on my card and charge the $299 when it was installed. I'm not super excited because hopefully I will have mine before I have to pay the CC company, but it is not a very professional way of doing business.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page