1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$70 service call

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Renard, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I know that I have a problem with my LNB on my side car or with the multi switch. Indeed, I have higher readings on even Tps on sat 101 than odd Tps on sat 101 on all my receivers (Tivo, R15, HR20).
    For example I have 90+% on even Tps and 70%+ on odd TPs on sat 101.
    Which bring me to this question, I don't have the protection plan, I think i have to pay $70 for service call. Does this price include the replacement of the dish, and/or the multiswitch , or do I have to pay $70 + the replacement of the dish and/or the multiswitch?
    Thanks for your help

2. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    I believe any replacement of those things would be included

3. ralphfurley

ralphfurley Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    um, first things first. call D* back and tell them that you do not want to pay $70.

I dont mind D* charging for dish realignments/moving of dish or receivers, but equipment failure is another thing. heck, the problem probably started with a lousy install.

usually the slightest resistance on your part will get the charge removed. if you dont get a good response ask for retention

then go spend that $70 bucks you saved on PPV or try premiere pack for a month or two.

4. forecheck

forecheck Legend

Jun 13, 2002
    Can you put up with it for a month? If so, sign up for the protection plan today and call them back in a month to fix your problems.

5. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    No the install was fine, high signals reading on all sats (I know unbeliveable, when you read some threads about some poor installs :eek2: ) I can say the guy knew what he was doing. The installation was done in 2005, no signal readings on sat 103a (spot beams) at that time, and no 103b (directv 10).
    The problem comes I think here in the Seattle area we do have a lot of rain and moisture, with time the LNBs get weaker.
    But thanks for the suggestion i can try to call them. It costs nothing to give a try :)

6. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I have seen them offer the service call for $14.95 in your situation, if you agree to subscribe to the PP for a one-year period. Just another factor in deciding what to do - though I personally cannot guarantee that they are still doing the $14.95 for the call if you sign for PP thing.

7. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Yes this is something I quite commonly hear from customers when I show up at their house for a service call. So I would assume it is still going on.

Randy

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The odd even transponder thing could be a weak fitting. ONE of the things that happens is water gets into the fittings. This doesn't always interrupt anything at that time. As the water freezes and thaws in the fitting it pushes the center wire away from the other terminator. At some point you get arcing and this slowly burns down the center wire.

I would do nothing but continue to monitor the transponders. Transponder readings are also influenced by atmospheric conditions. The meter in your receiver may not even be that accurate. How is the picture? Are you missing any channels?

AND

Try getting the problem to move. Switch the sat wires at the ground block or multiswitch. If the problem moves to another receiver this tells you where to look for a weak fitting or cable. My experience with LNBs is that they work or they don't.

I think the cure for sidecar problems is to replace it with the slimline.

The installer will be offered $25.00 by the HSP to come repoint your dish.

Hope this helps.

Joe

9. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    -First off, all D* service call prices are flat fee.
    -D* still offers a discounted fee of $14.95 for a service call if you sign up for the Protection Plan.
    -Don't rely on getting the service call fee waived. From what I've heard, D* is getting tougher on credits and such. I wouldn't be surprised if that's tied in to the change in ownership.

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I had to mention (not threaten) cancellation to retention in order to get my service call fee waived today.

11. satwood

satwood DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Sat 101 is not on the sidecar of the AT-9. The sidecar covers 110, 119

12. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Hey Renard,
    My suggestion is that based upon your circumstances (early adopter install for 5 LNB, and Seattle area moisture), it's reasonable for you to calmly but firmly explain your circumstances. There was no SAT to point to during the initial install, but that doesn't mean you should be penalized because you wanted to take advantage of services D* was more than willing to provide to you at the time. If moisture is a potential issue, I'm sure you could make an argument that D* still chooses to serve your area despite those potential problems. Approach your call as someone who was, and still is, dedicated to D*'s services, but they should be helping you out to achieve customer satisfaction for you. These are not unreasonable requests. Just escalate it to the level where you get that satisfaction.

13. facmgr6569

facmgr6569 Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    Actually (someone correct me if I am wrong) the side car covers 99 and 103. The three main ones cover 101,110, and 119.

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No the side car is 110 and 119. 99, 101, and 103 are in the main LNB that looks like it is only one but it is 3.

15. facmgr6569

facmgr6569 Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks for correcting my wayward ways....guess I assumed that the side car was added for the HD locals etc witch are on 99 and 103 right? Anyway so does that mean if I have a 3 lnb dish I can see 103B?

16. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No. The 3 LNB dish is setup and aligned to receive 101, 110, and 119. It is all about the angle of the LNB's. You can't really tell a difference by just looking at them but there is.

Since 99, 101 ,103 are so close to each other that is why DirecTV decided to put them in one bigger looking LNB on the AT-9 (side car dish) and the AU-9 (slimline dish).

17. facmgr6569

facmgr6569 Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    cool thanks!

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    So many people are confused by the "three" LNBs on the new dishes. You have to be somewhat of an expert to really get it, and now you are. If you think about the geometry involved, it all makes sense.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    How about the test channels on 492,492, 493 & 494?
    Do these accurately reflect the state of average transponder reception?

Also I remember a few sidecar tricks. The 119 is received through the side LNB and you can bend that sucker to adjust 119 if skew adjustment doesn't help. Then there is the verification of the correct slot for that part of the country.
    Guys don't read instructions and so I missed that one once. Made tuning tough until I fixed it.

And about the $70.00 fee: HSPs try to ding tech $100.00 if the customer calls DTV FOR ANY REASON.

Joe

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes, why wouldn't they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.