1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

72.5 locals shut off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jamieh1, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Can anyone confirm that the final 72.5 markets when dark today?
    Today was the final date listed.

My market Greenville NC was scheduled for shut off today but I dont have a 72.5 dish up anymore.

2. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Did your locals migrate to MPEG4 status or did they move to another bird?

3. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Are locals were added in HD in Jan 2009, SD locals on 72.5 were scheduled for shut off today and are only going to be available in HD. We are a MPEG4 only market.
    We have a couple of SD that are MPEG4 also

7 WITN NBC HD
    9 WNCT CBS HD
    12 WCTI ABC HD
    14 WYDO FOX HD
    15 WNCT2 CW (SD)
    25 WUNC UNC/PBS HD
    25.2 WUNC UNC EXPLORER CHANNEL (SD)

4. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I wonder what Directv will do with those satellite locations that are no longer being used for local channels? They won't surrender those locations, because they're too valuable. Same goes for 119 and the three transponders at 110. Too bad they couldn't work out a deal with Dish, to give up those 3 on 110, in exchange for 3 on 119. That might be a good opportunity to add some HD content, down the road.

5. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    DirecTV was leasing the use of 72.5 from a Canadian company and is ending that lease. The 16 tp's they had there are becoming part of Dish's eastern Arc and the sat that is at 72.5 is due to be moved to 110 to act as a backup for the sat currently there.

6. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Yes, I believe that orbital slot is owned by Bell Expressvu. Somewhere down the road, they'll use it and turn their 20" dual LNB dish into a triple LNB dish. They already have 82w and 92w. With Shaw Direct going to a third satellite, sometime next year, Bell Expressvu won't want to fall behind in the competition of who has more transponder space. Bell uses Nagravision, like Dishnetwork.