1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

721 Question

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by RonR, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonR

RonR New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    First, I am new here and would like to thank all of you on this board as I used your advice to foster my recent purchase of a 721 (yesterday). I have downloaded the new software etc, but when I rewind, ffwd, or change channels the audio becomes a loud "static" sound then I must change the channel or go to live to get the audio back. I am running optical out and i have set my receiver to pcm and digital. Any suggestions?

Thanks again
    Ronnie :)

2. Inaba

Inaba Legend

Jun 20, 2003
    Sounds like you have a bad 721 and it will need to be replaced. Dunno what information you used to purchase a 721 from this board, but the problems and lack of features on the 721 should scare anyone off from buying one.

Call Dish support and let 'em know the problem... I'm sure they'll be happy to send out a replacement. Take note of the procedure, you'll probably be using it a lot since you'll be getting a "brand new" refurbished unit for your nice, really new unit.

Of course, the quality control on the refurbished units is abysmal, so you'll be sending in two or three of those refurbished units as they fail.

3. mjschuyler

mjschuyler Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 2, 2002
    The 721 has had many problems but before you assume it is the 721 that causes the static I would suggest you try a few tests. The problem you report sounds like it may be caused by your receiver. Some receivers do not "mute" when they don't get a proper digital signal so it my be the receiver that is causing the static problem. I suggest setting the receiver to digital only to see if the static goes away. If it does not I would then disconnect the digital cable, hook up rca audio cables and set the receiver to pcm only. If the static goes away reconnect the digital cable with the rca cables still connected. Set the receiver to pcm and digital if the static is now gone it appears that when you fast forward the digital signal is lost but the receiver will drops to pcm which is much stronger audio signal that is why the static is so loud.

I would contact the receivers manufacturer to see if this is a known problem.

Murray

4. RonR

RonR New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks so much for the advice! I will try this but I don't think this is the problem as I had a 508 hooked to the same optical input prior and did not have this problem.

Ronnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.