1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

721 remote and Sony TVs

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by tm22721, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    Does anybody know why my 721 remote's Select button won't work on any of my three Sony TVs ? I enter a two digit channel number then press the Select button but the TVs do not respond. (The Power, Channel Up/Down and Volume buttons all work fine).

This works on my 4000, 5000, and 6000 remotes with no problem.

I have tried all of the Sony TV codes from the Dish 721 manual to no avail.

I even tried another 721 remote.

Come on Dish !

2. Nordug

Nordug Mentor

Aug 5, 2002
    My 721 remote works fine on my Sony Wega. Do you hit the TV button first?

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    My 721 remote works great with our 12 year old 27" Sony.

4. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    I think he is trying to use the select button as the enter button...it won't work :( If your sony requires you to push enter if your directly entering a channel number, your out of luck :(

5. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    That's correct my Sony TVs require me to use an 'enter' button (Select button) to enter a channel number. This works on the 4000/5000/6000 remotes but not on the 721 ??

So how are Sony TVs supposed to handle the entry of a two digit channel number without an 'enter' button ?

I guess I could program the Sonys for only the channels that I use then scroll using the Channel Up/Down buttons.

The software regression testing at Dish must be helter skelter at best if they can't even retain backwards compatibility with one of the most popular TV brands.

With Dish Network, the words 'Caveat Emptor' take on new meaning.

6. Tony S

Tony S AllStar

Mar 28, 2002
    I have a 501 and I have this exact same problem with my older Sony XBR. My Sony requires me to press Enter in order to change to the channel that I enter, but the Select button on the 501 does not work.

The Select button on my old 4000 remote control works fine with my Sony. Like you, I was surprised that the newer remote does not work.

I always assumed that the reason that the newer remote did not work was because my Sony was older and possibly was not supported any more, but after reading this thread, I think that E* just made a mistake when they programmed their remote :(

7. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    How much channel changing are you doing on the TV with a sat receiver hooked up?? Do you have local cable or something >>

8. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    All of my video sources are modulated to UHF channels for whole house distribution so any video source is available at any TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.