1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

721 signal problems?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by 7100 user, Dec 3, 2007.

1. 7100 user

7100 user New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I currently have a 721 & 508 receiver connected to a dpp twin lnb with a separator for the 721. Recently input 1 on the 721 has a lot of pixelation and occasionally drops the signal. The 508 receiver appears to be working properly.

Signal strength on tuner 1 show 85 and tuner 2 is locked on at 96 on 119.

I'm not quite sure where to begin troubleshooting, and was hoping someone could give me some idea where to begin. Cable? Separator? LNB? Receiver?

Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

2. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Start with the separator.

3. ratoren

ratoren AllStar

Dec 28, 2005
    I have the exact same set-up you do (721&508), and ran into the same problem yesterday. It took 3 hard resets to get the 721 working again - though I have never had a problem with any pixelation.

4. UGAChance

UGAChance AllStar

May 18, 2007
    Try hooking the 2 outputs of the Separator backwards from the way you have it. But, then you will have to re-run CheckSwitch because there is a Master and Slave side of the Separator. All Diseqc commands go through the Master. See if the signal strength follows the cables or the tuner.

Try hooking the 721 up where the 508 is located. This will also narrow the problem down a little bit. See if it is the cabling, receiver, separator, etc.

5. 7100 user

7100 user New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I reversed the cables, checked the signal strength and it definitely followed the tuner. I got the same results when I hooked it up with the cable from the 508.

I thought my signal strength on tuner 1 was steady, when I first checked it earlier in the week. However, this time it jumped around quite a bit, and dropped out completely at times on tuner 1.

I guess that means it's probably the tuner/receiver that is causing the problem?

6. UGAChance

UGAChance AllStar

May 18, 2007
    It is probably a bad tuner card. I am afraid you will have to call DISH and tell them what you have tried and what you think the problem is.

They will probably RMA the 721.

7. 7100 user

7100 user New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I called tech support this afternoon, which went remarkably smooth, and I'll be getting a replacement unit on monday.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice