1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722/722k Question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by parts.man, Nov 16, 2012.

1. parts.man

parts.man Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    I'm totally confused. I'm upgrading my 80-something year old mother to HD and I keep trying to get Dish to commit to a 722K with an OTA module. Said they couldn't order an OTA module until after the work order is closed. Called again today to check before tomorrows install and they're telling me that its a 722. I'm a Directv person so I have a few points that need clarification.

1. Does the 722 have a built in OTA tuner that can record the subchannels in addition to the main HD channel?

2. Can the OTA on the 722 only be viewed on TV1?

3. Can you view/record two different OTA channels with the 722K? (Pretty sure the answer to this is yes, other two questions I don't know about)

I found conflicting information and gave up after searching--running out of time. I really wanted her to switch to Directv and now I'm wishing I had talked her into it, but she's used to her 625 DVR and I didn't think she'd ever learn to use that. Thanks.

2. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The 722 has a built in 1 tuner OTA coax port. This allows you to record 1 OTA channels along with the 2 tuners on the 722 receiver. You can only record 1 channel using the OTA port on the 722 receiver. The OTA on the 722 receiver is only viewable from TV 1.

The MT2 OTA module on the 722k provides 2 tuners, which allows your to record/view 2 local and/or 2 subchannels, along with the 2 tuners on the 722k receiver. The OTA is viewable from TV 1 or TV 2.

Most installations are installing the 722k since this is a newer receiver. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

3. parts.man

parts.man Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Thanks so much. I tried to get them to specify a 722K but they told me they couldn't order a module until after the work order was closed and continue to tell me its a "722". I think as long as she can get all the OTA on TV1 and record them, that'll be fine. I guess I'll just wait and see what shows up tomorrow.

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.

5. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    If you want a 722k with two OTA tuners, stick to your guns. You can install the OTA module yourself. Tell them you want it for free. The installer should have one.

6. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Before you call Dish, call a local installation company (maybe someone on this board can recommend one in your area) and see if they can guarantee a 722K. Then, call Dish and give them the name of the company so they will get your job. That worked for me.