1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 - Are there "Wishlist" timers?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Hardin Thicke, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke AllStar

Jun 18, 2008
    I'm coming 5 years of TiVo, so the transition to the new system is rather slow; sorry. Here's what I want to do:

Let's say I know the name of a movie or other program that I want to record, but it's not in the current guide. Can I set up a timer to record that movie if it ever shows up on any channel I'm subscribed to?

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Yes. Set a DishPass timer rather than a name based timer. A dishpass timer will always look at the new Guide data when it is received and create an event when a match is found.

3. Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke AllStar

Jun 18, 2008
    Thanks, Chuck. I've avoided fooling around with DishPass because of warnings regarding it's use. I think users were using DishPass instead of setting up a standard timer. I'll take a look at it tonight. Thanks!

4. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    DishPass is very powerful and cool, but just be careful when setting one up, since it has the ability to record a LOT of programs very quickly if you aren't careful. :)

Use the "maximum programs to save" entry until you're sure you've got a good timer going, that is what I do.

I setup one for "Racing" one time, and before I knew it I had 40 programs recorded, lol. You have to play with it a bit.

5. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I find DISHPASS to be a very limited version of "Wishlist." Just as an example, on my DirecTIVO box, I was able to set up a wishlist that specified "Sports/Hockey - Islanders." Dishpast doesn't allow that kind fo specificity. So, I tell it to get all programs with "NY Islanders" in it. That results in a 9 hour block of blank HD time being recorded - which are the 9 hours the program guide broadcasts "Coming up: Ny Islanders vs......".

The closet thing to a Wishlist in fuctionality is actually the seach button (hit the button on the remote). But, I've not found anyway to set it up so that the search is "automatic." So, I've taken to manually searching for all Islander games at the start of each week. Pain in the A, if you ask me.