1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 dropping signal on various satellites.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by olds403, Oct 11, 2009.

1. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Having a minor signal loss issue with my 722. I have been getting regular drops of all three sats (61.5, 110 and 119). When it says the signal is lost I change the channel up or down 1 channel and then back to the original channel and it comes right back. It did not spend any time acquiring the satellite, so I question whether it was actually losing signal. I ran a check switch and everything came back fine. When it was happening the most it was doing it about every 5-10 minutes. Seems to have calmed down now but would love to know what was happening.

2. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    The 722's in my experience seem to have a lot more problems with signals and other issues (such as missed and partial recordings) than I ever had with my 622. I will be getting mine replaced soon and you might want to think about it as well if these issues keep happening.

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    olds403, I hit Guide or DVR then Cancel to continue full-screen viewing. Do you have OTA connected and if so, was it last tuned to a station with a solid signal?

4. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I do have OTA connected. After I posted this I was wondering the same thing, so I went to the local channel setup screen and peaked my indoor antenna for all the channels that I normally watch. Hopefully that was it as it has not done it at all today. Thanks for the tip though. My 722 has for the most part been trouble free, I have had a couple of incomplete recordings over the last year. If that is all the issues I have with such a complex piece of electronics I am happy.

5. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Had the same issue with the OTA hooked up to my 722k. Disconnected it, and it's been fine ever since.

6. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    disconnecting my OTA was not an option since I have several OTA timers set. I think the OTA was the issue though since it has not reoccurred since peaking my antenna. Thanks for the tips.

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Glad to hear the preferred work-around is successful for you. I later realized my alternate work-around (press DVR or Guide) should be Menu-Cancel for the bigger picture. It's just not where the thumb is trained to go.

8. mark722

mark722 AllStar

Sep 27, 2007
    I recently had a similar problem on my 722 after adding an signal amplifier to my ota antenna input. I had the gain turned up all the way, which didn't improve the signal much. After turning the gain all the way down, the dropouts stopped. I suspect that the antenna amplifier was applying too strong a signal to the ota input and was causing the switch in the 722 to malfunction. My ota signal levels also improved. Anyone else using an amplified antenna may experience the same problem.

9. daven42

daven42 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I have the exact same issue (mostly with 61.5)...pressing guide and cancel brings the signal back also. This is most annoying. I've had my 722 since it first came out a couple of years ago but this started after I got the latest software update a few weeks ago. Signal strength is well above threshold value. Has anyone heard from the Dish Techies on this one?