1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722 DVR mod to combine HD and SD memory allocations?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by archan2000, Aug 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. archan2000

archan2000 New Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I only record HD programs in my vip722 DVR.

In the DVR interface I see that there is memory allocation for HD and SD. Wondering if there's a way I can use the SD memory for HD programming so that I can exceed the 55 hours of HD programming stored on my DVR.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's numbers show approximate time for HD or SD recordings. It's not what you think.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You should also notice that both numbers will go down - i.e. the same storage is used for both. What the display is telling you is an approximation of how much space is left based on "all HD recording" or "all SD recording".

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As noted... those are estimates of available storage space if you record only HD or SD, respectively from this point forward. Any time you record anything you will see both estimates go down. Similarly, if you delete something both counts will go up.

It's not dedicated space for one format or the other.

5. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I have also found that it can actually hold nearly twice as much HD as it states. Most of the MPEG4 feeds take up half as much space as what I assume the counter is based on the old MPEG2 HD feeds.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yep.. it seems like the guestimate by the receiver is based on an average-to-worst-case MPEG2 SAT feed... which means MPEG4 SAT feeds usually take a lot less space BUT OTA recordings take a bit more.