1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 dying, now 622... help?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by steveT, Oct 19, 2008.

1. steveT

steveT Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    I've had a bizarre series of events with my 722 and 622 units, and would appreciate any help. First last week, ONLY while playing back DVR recordings, the 722 starting dropping audio, then freezing video, then both would unfreeze, but be unsynched. A brief pause would synch them back up. Then after a few days, after that happening more and more frequently, the unit would then just freeze and lock up completely, requiring a power reset. After rebooting, recordings would play normally for a short while, but then the whole cycle would repeat.

I called Tech Support yesterday, and she had me do a hard boot. When it came back up, now hitting the DVR button wouldn't bring up the playlist at all, and pausing live TV won't work. No recordings are accessible; it's like the hard drive is toast. Dish is sending a new unit, but I lost 100+ recordings. The unit was 2 months old and had worked perfectly until now. All it can do now is play live TV, which seems to be working fine.

So today, the very next day, my 622 which I've had for 2 years starts with the audio dropouts. DVR recordings seem to play fine otherwise, but when I go to the program guide, it can't see any content more than 90 minutes or so out. When it tries to download updated guide content, it freezes before completing the download, and then reboots itself. So it can't update the guide, and if I try to record even a current program playing, it says it can't because it can't access the guide. So now I can't record on the 622 either.

Now, I have to figure the odds of a 722 on one TV and a 622 on a separate TV, one 2 months old and one 2 years old, both crapping out in the same weekend, have to be pretty small. Check switches on both units ran fine. Dish's tech support has been terrible. Four calls so far, and no one knows anything. They just keep running through checklists, and don't even seem to understand when I describe the problem (one tech support lady told me she's never even owned a DVR herself!!) I asked to speak to Advanced Tech Support, and they told me that doesn't exist anymore. (I've been with Dish 10+ years, but haven't had a problem like this in awhile...)

Any ideas?

2. eddieras

eddieras Godfather

Aug 30, 2007
    does the 622 use the same software as the 722?

i've been having similar probs withmy 722 - and i've been searching here and satellite guys and find others iwth similar probs - many are saying its the 6.14 software.
    my probs:
    pausing won't work on either delayed or shows currently recording - jumps to live
    inconsistent or unable to rewind, skip back
    slow interface
    horrible pixelation - or macroblocking - whatever its technically called!
    had an hour show recorded, yet the playback bar said 2:59
    had one show where the playback bar was 17598 ! that's a loooooong show!

i've pulled the plug for a minute- did reset on the panel - still the same.

could it be software?

3. steveT

steveT Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    I believe the 622 is using L614 software. I don't even want to risk checking on the barely-functioning 722, as it seems like every time I do anything except change channels, it dies a bit more.

One last kick in the head from Dish tech support- after I agreed to pay $24.95 on Saturday morning to overnight the unit, which they promised would arrive Monday, they're now telling me it actually won't ship until today. All weekend they kept telling me it had shipped, and they'd have a tracking number "in a few hours".

So it won't be here in time for the Dish repair guy showing up Tuesday morning to troubleshoot all the problems with the other units (my last receiver, a 211, now won't pull up program guide content either). I don't know what's happened to Dish tech support, but after 10 years of good service, they're now acting like the cable companies, either uninformed or just plain lying to me.

4. eddieras

eddieras Godfather

Aug 30, 2007
    do you think it could be software related? i was going to call dish myself but don't feel like dealing with the aggravation!

5. steveT

steveT Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    It's hard to say. Given I've got different model receivers in different rooms experiencing similar problems, I would think it's something between the receiver and the dish. I'm fairly competent working with the receivers, but also fairly clueless when it comes to the switch, lnb, etc. But my theory was that somehow the communication up the chain was screwing up (explaining why I can't update program guide info anymore), which somehow led to a corrupted recording on the 722 which then basically cascaded into a fatal problem for that unit. Right now I'm just trying to prevent it from happening on the 622, so I don't lose my remaining recordings from the last few years.