1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722 lost programming

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by wvorih, Jul 20, 2011.

1. wvorih

wvorih New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    The power was off on my 722 for two months while I was out of the country. When I returned, all my channels said...Program not Authorized. It was as though there was no card in the receiver, but of course this receiver does not use a card. Stopping and restarting did no good. I had to call up Dish and get the receiver 'Hit" again and then all was OK again.

My question is.....Why does Dish remove my programming after a long period of being unplugged? How do they know I was unconnected? I do not think the satellite knows if I am receiving or not so is the receiver programmed to require a re-hit after a long period of disuse?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The receiver will try to pull data down from the satellites nightly for its nightly update.

Eventually, if left long enough... 30 days might be it, 2 months definitely crosses it... the receiver deactivates itself due to lack of connection to the satellites.

As you discovered, it requires calling in to have them re-activate again.

IF your power was out for 2 months... were you paying the whole bill? I hope you put the account on hold and weren't paying the whole bill during those 2 months when you weren't watching TV.

3. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    Your receiver (the smart card actually) gets channel authorizations every now and then (couldn't say how long, maybe a few times a month) that tells the it what channels you are allowed to view. All of your channels authorized on your smart card have an "end" date, so if it misses the update that extends/reauthorizes the channel, you eventually get the "not authorized" messages (being unplugged means it will definitely miss the updates).

A "hit" does fix this though.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It's like a coma for a human. ;)

5. wvorih

wvorih New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Thanks guys, it is always interesting to better understand how DISH is manipulating us ;-)

6. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Ummm...?

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How is Dish manipulating you?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002