1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 record one channel, and watch another

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Walter_81, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter_81

Walter_81 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    ok, i have a vip722 with an hdtv and sdtv hooked up to it. when i go to record a show and change the channel to watch something else on the sdtv....it wont let me. i have to watch what im recording.

any and all help appreciated.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    That's the way it works. With a HD TV and a SD TV connected I assume you are running in Dual mode. In this mode TV 1 has control of Sat tuner 1 and the OTA tuner and TV 2 has control over tuner 2 (this is a very simplistic description, but basically the way it works).

So, TV 2 can use its tuner to either record a program or watch live TV but you can't use one tuner to do both at the same time. TV 2 could watch a recorded program and record a program at the same time since watching a recording does not require a tuner.

3. Walter_81

Walter_81 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    thanks for the info, kinda lame but oh well

4. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    How is it lame? Did you expect a single tuner to be able to do two things at once?

The basic problem you face is how best to manage your tuners. If you have an OTA antenna connected you have three tuners to manage. Otherwise, you have only the two sat tuners to manage. In Single mode you manage all the tuners from a single TV but in Dual mode the sat tuners are split between the two TVs so you can watch different programming on them. Even in Dual mode you have some flexability in using different tuners for making recordings. Here is a link to a document that describes the Record Plus options. If you watch one or the other TVs but not both at once with different programming, you can still run in Single mode. When you want to use TV2 instead of TV1 just tune it to the TV 1 modulated channel and you will see the same thing as TV 1. You can also use the RF remote to control the TV 1 output in Single mode so you can do that from the TV 2 location.

You just have to learn how best to manage the available resources with the way you watch TV.

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you use the plus mode, be aware that TV2 may not be able to change channels. But in that mode you can chose to record on TV2 while watching TV 1. So that way you can still watch one channel while recording 2 other channels.

I am really floored by some people's expectations of this receiver.

You can record 3 HD programs while watching two programs (potentially both HD) to 1 HD output and 1 SD output.

If you have the unit in dual mode with the share (plus) turned off, then you essentially have
    1 HD satellite receiver/DVR with SD out for TV2.
    1 HD satellite receiver/DVR with HD out for TV1.
    1 HD/Ditital OTA TV receiver/DVR with HD out for TV1.
    + The DVR events are available to both TV1 and TV 2

See ya
    Tony

6. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    My 722 install was Monday. It replaced a 921, and is running in Single Mode. As far as expectations, it is SWEET, but we have been spoiled for years by Dish boxes, and always expect more and better with each round. When we step back and take a look at what they do, it's AMAZING.

If you came from cable, you would be FLOORED by what Dish does. I signed up for cable because of a triple-play offer, a week later, I called Dish and wanted to come back - you can't even set a custom guide on the SA boxes! It's 2007 for crying out loud. The 722 Dish offered me was icing on the cake, as I can't deal with the poor picture and useless DVR on cable.

7. Ugotit2

Ugotit2 New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    If I put the 722 on one TV only, will I be able to record an HD program while watching a different HD program without OTA?

In essence can it be a non OTA dual HD tuner?

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It is a 3-tuner receiver. 2 are for SAT, 1 is for OTA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.