1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722 to Hopper recording transfer question...

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by huskerroo, Jan 4, 2013.

1. huskerroo

huskerroo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kansas City
    Hi all,

I have a 722 and am considering moving to a Hopper. I have ~ 30+ hours of HD recordings and have always thought I needed to connect an EHD to the 722, install the Hopper, then reconnect the EHD. Then in my research I found the following:

"As it happens, that internal drive can also be used to transfer recordings from your old Dish DVR." from http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/dish-hopper-whole-home-dvr-review/.

Can a USB cable connect 722 to Hopper directly and transfer my content???

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    No, need an EHD.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you'll try that for your two PC, you will see: host-to-host doesn't work by simple USB cable (actually you'll need SPECIAL USB cable: A to A)
    same for DVR
    I'm not telling you these DVR doesn't have SW support for host-to-host connection by USB, eSATA or Ethernet for transfer your events.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You need an EHD.

5. huskerroo

huskerroo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kansas City
    Thanks all! That is what I thought but when I came across Engadget reporting, I thought I'd dig a little more with the question. Appreciate it!!!

huskerroo

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Once you have those recordings on the EHD, leave them there, they play easily from a drop down menu on the Hopper and there have been some lost recordings reported in transferring to the Hopper.