1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722 to Hopper upgrade options?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jgoggan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I've currently got a 722 and I've been thinking about trying to get a free or cheap upgrade to the Hopper as I've seen some people mentioning that lately. (Unfortunately, I didn't see it last month when I guess I might have saved some on the monthly fee?) Note that I have just one TV -- so no need for Joeys. In any case, a few questions:

1. I get the impression that I could call Dish and they would give me a free upgrade to the Hopper (without Sling) with a new 24-month commitment. Sounds like, depending on the CSR, I may or may not have to pay an install fee of anywhere from $15-$100 (possibly depending on if I sign up for the accident/repair program or whatever that is called). That sound right? Is it worth some CSR roulette to try to get it install with no fee at all even without joining the repair program?

2. Is anyone successfully getting a free upgrade to a Hopper with the Sling adapter -- or even a Hopper w/ Sling built in? I don't think I'll use Sling much -- because my internet is currently limited (satellite-based) due to lack of any other local choices. But, I might want it SOME day -- so if I could get it for free, I'd willing. There are no monthly extra charges for Sling versus no-Sling, right?

3. I currently pay the $7/month fee for my 722. My understanding is that it will stay at $7 if I keep the 722 -- but would jump to $12 if I went with the Hopper. Is that correct?

4. I think, if I got a Hopper, I could plug an external drive into my 722, transfer my recorded programs over, and then use that on the Hopper to watch them -- is that also correct?

Thanks for any answers or further insight on this!

- John

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    everything is correct, just call CSR and get the numbers ... we can't substitute official quotes

3. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Ok -- thanks for the info. I did call yesterday, but there was a big push to get me to buy the repair package add-on. All of the quotes were based on that. I got tired of the high-pressure sale and said that I'd call back later. :)

So, I'll do that soon and see what I hear. Thanks.

- John...

4. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]I am more than happy to help you with your request today! Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks [/SIZE]