1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 - TV2 Question

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Rob O, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Rob O

Rob O Cool Member

Dec 19, 2005
    I left E* a few years back, but just re-subscribed. My question is on the 722, when I want to watch TV2 and the DVR is recording on tuner 2 it won't let me watch live TV because it is recording (with tuner 1 not recording). Isn't there a way to switch between tuners?

Thanks for any input. I always found it easier to ask the board than to try and figure it out from the manual.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Are you in single or dual user mode?

3. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    I have argued for this "use whatever tuner is available" logic for a long time. It seems to be about 10,000th on Dish's list of priorities to "fix" or "enhance" and a whole bunch of people liked to pile on about how bad of an idea they thought this would be anyway when I brought it up.

But the answer is, NO.

The workaround is to go to TV1, switch to the channel you want to watch, and record it. Then go to TV2, and watch the recording of the channel in progress. Since there is a simple logical workaround, I am quite certain they could use the same code logic to make a software solution for this problem and decouple the tuners from the TVs, and you'd get things like dual live buffers for free.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. The answer is NO. This drives us crazy too.

4. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    switch to single mode. swap so the tuner that is recording is being viewed, then switch out of single mode.

5. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    What is this business of tuner 1/2 and single/dual user mode?

Are you saying that I cannot just switch to another channel on a 2-tuner receiver if I'm recording what I'm currently watching without switching to the other tuner first (even if that tuner isn't recording anything)?

That's back to the dark ages for us (used to have MS Ultimate TV, best I've seen, and now Comcast, they used to require it but no longer do - now considering Dish).

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    In dual mode sat tuner 2 is tied to output 2 and sat tuner 1 is tied to output 1, so if you are recording on Sat tuner 2 you cannot watch another channel on output 2.

You can watch a pre-recorded program or watch the program being recorded only. As has been said, the only work around is to start a recording of the program you want to watch on sat tuner 1/Output1 and then watch that recording on the TV2 output.

If you switch to single mode with shared view then output 1 and 2 are the same and if tuner 2 is busy, you just switch to tuner 1 or the OTA tuner.

7. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    That's not quite true. Either tuner can go to either set of outputs. That's why switching to single mode and swapping tuners works. When you switch out of single mode whichever tuner was being viewed in single mode goes to the tv1 outputs, and the other tuner goes to tv2. So if tuner 2 was being viewed when you switch out of single mode, tuner 2 goes to output 1 and tuner 1 goes to output 2

8. clyde sauls

clyde sauls Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    Let me get this right.The original posts says that tv 2 wont let him watch live tv if it recording. I have a 622 not a 722 but I think if its recording you can watch live tv on any tuner whether recording or not. If in dual mode and watching tv 2 you should be able to watch live tv but not change the channel. If you want to change channels you have to put the dvr in single mode. Then hit swap on the remote and change the channel. That is unless you are recording on both tuners from the satellite . To Mr FrankV the Dish vips dvr are dual tuners but also have dual outputs Ms Ultimate tv was just a dvr with dual tuners but not dual output. You could hookup it up to two tv but had to watch the same programming on both tvs . Sort of like what the single mode is for dish dvrs. I dont know for sure but some of the limitations of the dvrs is because of the tivo lawsuits. Just a guess.

9. Rob O

Rob O Cool Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Ok I understand, thanks. I used to have a 522 before I left E* and I don't remember this little glitch. I guess it's more of an inconvenience than anything. One of the reasons I came back to E* was I loved the DVR, Comcast DVR sucks. I guess I can live with it. Staring a recording of the live show is easy enough. TV2 is in my bedroom and now i know if I want to watch a live show I'll have to do that before I leave the living room. As always this board is better than the manual.

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Not so much a glitch as, there are 2 ways to use the 622/722. You can use it for 2 TV's or you can use both tuners, and get PiP and DLB functions on 1 TV, and the 2nd tv just has to go along for the ride. During football season, having Single mode, and DLB and even adding PiP towards an end of games, is much more valuable to some than Dual mode to drive 2 TV's. Each to his own though.

11. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    It's not a glitch, it's a design flaw that could be worked around in code if Dish engineers were motivated to do so.

12. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    If you could just switch tuners like that it can cause conflicts if both tv's are being used at the same time. If they aren't being used at the same time, that's what single mode is for.

13. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    The problem startes with people not understanding the difference between single mode and dual mode.
    Granted I have never understood Dual mode, just get the 2nd reciever already, 2 DVR's in single mode during Football/Nascar season is the ONLY way to go.
    But each to his own.

14. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Move the dual/single mode button to the remote (TV1 and TV2 remotes) and I might think that switching modes was a usable workaround.

15. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    Again, I think the issue is trying to prevent conflicts when two people are using the system. You'd be suprised how many people accidentally end up in single mode as it is (I have no idea how, but they do)

16. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    I've been to trouble calls because the customer somehow put it in single mode. All they knew was that both TV's were showing the same #%$# thing.