1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 under a heavy receiver ok???

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by JeffL, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JeffL

JeffL Cool Member

Dec 27, 2007
    In preparation for tomorrow's install, I'm rearranging my entertainment center a bit. My old Tivo (Sony SAT-T60 which is leaving) was on top of my Denon receiver sitting on spacers that put it about 2" above (the entire top of the receiver has ventilation holes). But this still put a lot of heat onto the Tivo (can't complain though since it's been there for 5 years!). But from what I've read, I'm thinking the 722 probably runs hotter than the Tivo. So I was wondering if it was ok to put the 722 UNDER the receiver. The Denon receiver is pretty heavy and I didn't know how stout the 722 is or I should simply put it someplace else away from the receiver. In either case, I'll put a usb fan on the side of the 722.

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    That is a lot of heat.. Personally I would not put the 722 near an A/V receiver if at all possible. Do you have any other options? Also.. I would never recommend sitting one of those heavy receivers on any piece of equipment period.

Well that is my 2 cents. Personally I am shocked your TIVO did not fail sitting basically you were sitting it right above a small heater. ;)

3. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I agree with Ron. I would find another space for the 722 away from other heat sources.

4. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Not just the heat factor...I personally would be worried about putting a hard drive near anything with a strong field like a receiver or amplifier.

5. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    My Denon is so hot, it can melt DVD's that are left on top of it. Don't put anything on top of it!

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Methinks you'll be asking for problems, the least of which will be the internal fan running 24/7. I recommend you give it plenty of breathing room.

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree with the numerous responses that you have received re the heat sensitivity of the 622/722. Re how stout the 722 is, my 622 has a 17 pound house cat that spends most of the day sleeping on top of it with no issues.

8. JeffL

JeffL Cool Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your input. You convinced me to move it to the other side away from the receiver.

9. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    I too have a 622 and a 17 pound house cat, but so far he has never slept on the 622.:)