1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722k OTA to TV2 question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by mr_mark95, Mar 18, 2010.

1. mr_mark95

mr_mark95 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    My current set up is a 722 with TV1 and TV2 in separate rooms. I have an OTA coming into TV1.

I was looking here to research about how to send the OTA signal also to TV2.

I now see that the 722k has two OTA inputs.

With the 722k can I split my single OTA input into the OTA1 and OTA2 on the 722k? After this can I combine TV2, OTA1, and OTA2 into the one cable going out to TV2?

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    The OTA inputs are just that, inputs. OTA only functions on Tuner 1, but if you're working in Single Mode you can just swap tuners from TV2.

Unless you're talking about diplexing the OTA antenna signal into your outbound TV2 diplexer, which is a whole other ball of wax...

3. mr_mark95

mr_mark95 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Yes...can I diplex TV2, OTA1, and OTA2 to TV2 on one coax.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I could be wrong (I don't have a 722K) but I thought that with the OTA module in the 722K that gives 2 OTA capability with one antenna connection... that it also delivered OTA to TV2 location.

Someone with a 722K can chime in, but I thought it was supposed to work that way.

5. willymac

willymac Cool Member

Feb 15, 2010
    on MY 722k OTA is sent to TV2 in dual mode. It uses one of the OTA tuners for TV1 and the other one for TV2. When its in single mode, you can use the swap button and swap between 2 OTA and 2 Sat tuners.

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I believe you are correct. The OTA out is selectable to either Ch3 or Ch4 IIRC.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Either the OP is a bit confused, or is confusing me.

With the (optional) OTA tuner module for the 722k, there is only one antenna connection, and that connection is internally split to feed 2 OTA tuners. Normally, one tuner is available to TV1 and one to TV2, so that both TVs could watch an OTA channel live, independently from the other. The tuning happens inside the sat receiver (well, in the tuning module which is inside the receiver), and the actual programming is sent to the TV1 and TV2 outputs on the receiver just like sat programming.

You should NOT attempt to combine OTA signals and a TV2 feed on the same coax, period. They likely have overlapping frequencies, and you can also end up broadcasting your TV2 signal via your antenna, which is illegal.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There's ways to do it without broadcasting over your OTA antenna. Check into a 700 MHz Low Pass filter.

9. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Running the OTA signal thru an amp before combining with home dist makes it real hard to send the home dist signal back out the antenna, and lets all the TVs in the house select whatever (analog) modulated channels you've selected, or digital OTA channels. The first receiver I got with a home dist connection also came with an attenuator to be used when you did combine it with the OTA signal - DISH literature for it discarded long ago. There are fancy filters that have adjustable bandstop-bandpass so that nothing except the selected range goes to the output (and not back up the input). Just using splitter-combiners does send it to the antenna for the neighbors to watch and that's against FCC rules.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    The broadcasting of your TV2 signal OTA does not seem to worry Dish (note the 15 dB attenuator.)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=16845&d=1180969999

Also, you can chose non-adjacent channels to minimize any risk of interference.