1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722k-partial signal loss

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by CeeWoo, May 12, 2013.

1. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    A couple months ago, my 722k started occassionally giving me a 'partial signal loss' message (with the obligatory solutions: check line of site, check cable, check connections, unplug receiver for a few seconds and restart-etc). It's becoming more & more frequent. I've found that by hitting either the 'guide' or 'menu' buttons on the remote and then cancel, the problem clears up. Sometimes it clears for days, sometime only a couple minutes. I have found it seems to happen most often when I'm watching a program from Sat 129, and when I've checked signal strength when it happens it's usually in the mid to upper 50's. My receiver is in the open with an external fan drawing air out (average hd temp seems to be about 105)

My 211k in the bedroom, connected to the same dish/lnbs has not had this problem. AND there is absolutely nothing near the dish that could be blocking any of the signal

Anyone else have this happen? Did you come up with a fix?

1 person likes this.
  2. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I had a separator go bad once and it mimic such symptoms, just a thought.

1 person likes this.
  3. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Here's something I hadn't noticed---I'm watching a baseball game (again on Sat 129) and at a fairly good spot in the game it happened again. After I hit the 'guide-cancel' buttons and restored the picture, I backed up and low & behold, the missed portion of the game IS on the hard drive. So it seems the 'problem' is after the data/video reaches the hard drive. Somehow it's just not reaching the output

4. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Have you contacted DISH?

5. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Not yet...but I will soon

6. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    You can send me a PM and I can assit you with resolving this partial signal loss. Looking at the thread there could be a couple possibilities, but we will run through the troubleshooting quickly and get this resolved.

7. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks Jason-you should have a message in the inbox

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Do you have tha OTA module in your 722k and if so is it on a weak channel?

Anecdotally there have been instances where leaving the OTA tuner on a channel that has dropouts, causes such anomalies on whichever channel you re viewing from satellite.

Try putting both tuners of the OTA module on a strong channel and see if the problem goes away.

9. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Humm, yes I do have the OTA module. It's interesting that some have found problems there can have an effect on other sat channels, but I'll give that a go. Our OTA here is pretty bad...we're in a valley about 35 miles from the nearest towers so they use a low power reflector/translator to get the signal to us. BUT there is one particular spanish/mexican station that has a much higher signal strength than the other channels. I'll add them to my favorites list just as a place to 'park' the module when we're not watching it. Thanks

10. RG6-Q

RG6-Q New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    PUERTO RICO