1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

722k Slowdown and Oddities

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Jamus, Oct 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jamus

Jamus New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    My 722k has been acting odd for the past week or two. At first it was just the occasional "slow guide" problem then it began having more and more slow to respond buttons other than the guide. I changed batteries in the remote first thing. Still had issues. I used the red reset button on the front panel and it seemed ok at first, but about a night or two later it seemed just as slow as before. The internal hard drive was not full (I have seen it slow to a crawl when it gets full) and had about 25 HD hrs available.

Now I have been noticing what appears to be dropped frames on some recorded DVR shows. A character will be talking and part of a word will just clip out and the image seems to jump a few frames. I am worried I might be about to have yet another hard drive fail and take a bunch of fall shows I have not watched yet with it!

All this leads to ask:
    1. Any 722k updates came out recently that seemed unstable that could be the cause of my problems?
    2. If I use an external USB drive for my recordings, do you see any sluggishness from using external USB vs internal drive?

Thank you.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Have you done a power cord reboot?

3. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Get am external hard drive, self powered, and connect it to you 722. Move the recorded shows from the internal to the external and then get a replacement for the 722 from Dish. You might want to try watching the shows from the external to see if they are ok.
    It does sound like your internal hard drive is going bad so you might be out of luck if you delay, maybe out of luck already.

4. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]Jamus,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I wanted to check with you to see if the issue with the 722k is still going on. If so, please press the buttons of; Menu/6/1/1 and select Check Switch and then Test. Once all test complete, exit out of all menus and allow the 722k to reacquire the signal and download the program guide. Try the different features to make sure it’s working correctly, if not please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

5. Jamus

Jamus New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Yes, power cord pulled, left off for 1 min, plugged it back up and let it sit while it did the normal boot up. Things seemed good at first, but about 5 min later, I started noticing the sluggishness had returned.

6. Jamus

Jamus New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I will try this tonight and see how it goes.

I am suspicious of sending my phone number to track this forum account to my Dish account though. If it does not work, I will likely contact Dish via a chat session. I got burned badly with a phone call from Dish, so prefer to have everything possible in a written chat session.

7. Jamus

Jamus New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I did the requested "[SIZE=medium]Menu/6/1/1 and select Check Switch" test and did not see any reported errors. If the problem gets worse, I will have to go ahead and call in to Dish (which I simply cannot stand to do based on the few previous support calls I have had to place).[/SIZE]