1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 error code on external hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by i49mobile, May 13, 2012.

1. i49mobile

i49mobile Mentor

Jan 31, 2007
    I noticed on my Hr20-700 with an external Wd 750 in an mx-1 some skipping a month ago and so I unplugged the hr20 and mx-1 and the problem went away until today I noticed again watching an OTA recorded program. I ran the short surface test and a 77 code appeared on the external. I ran the long test on the external took 8 hours and no errors showed up. What should I do next ? Is my external drive soon to be toast. If so, what 1tb or 2tb should I buy for the mx-1? I am not having any skipping since running the test. Thanks, steve

2. i49mobile

i49mobile Mentor

Jan 31, 2007
    Since one answered my question, I called western digital about a new hard drive. Their call center was not helpful, so I called seagate. The great guy at the Seagate call center in OKC said my issue was likely my MX-1, so I replaced the mx-1 and that fixed my skipped issue. Seagate guy said issues happen all the time with the circuit board in external drives.