1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

771 but only on HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by blucas95, Jul 19, 2013.

1. blucas95

blucas95 Legend

Sep 26, 2006
    I've been experiencing an increasing number of "Searching for satellite signal on satellite in 1 (771)" error messages, but only on my HR34. I do NOT see the same messages or partial recordings on either of my two HR20's and one HR21. We confirmed this when my wife noticed she lost the last five minutes of a show she was watching that was recorded on the HR34 while the same recording on one of the HR20s was intact. It certainly is NOT related to storms or anything as it happens when there is not a cloud in the sky.

I called DirecTV and they walked me though some troubleshooting over the phone to no avail. The signal strength has been exceptional (the tech tweaked the alignment when the HR34 was installed) - the lowest of any relevant signals is 96 if I recall correctly. It seems to me that it is worse in the late evenings, but we watch most of out TV then so it's hard to tell. Might also be worth noting that I live in the DC area and it has been exceptionally hot the last couple of weeks and we've been noticing it more since it got really warm, but again, only on the HR34.

I've got a tech coming out tomorrow morning to try and identify the problem, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions if he can't find anything obviously wrong. Thanks...

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Since you have an HR34 and three other DVRs, that's 11 tuners. That means you should have an SWM16 multiswitch, connected by four cables to the dish. If you don't have an SWM16, that's probably the source of the problem, because the SWM LNB will only support eight tuners. If you do have an SWM16, check to make sure there are no more than eight tuners on each output.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How hot is the '34 getting? Is it stacked, or in a closet?

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I'm having the exact same issues on my HR44. I've been told it is most likely the coax at the 44 itself. I plan on swapping receivers when I get a chance and see if the problem stays at the coax or follows the box.

I have tons of partial recordings, but just this last 2 weeks we actually noticed that while live TV was on, all audio and visual would disappear. No error messages or searching for signal, just black screen. The guide would work, info would work, changing channels showed all banner information correctly, but no audio or visual. Then all of a sudden, everything would be back. Several of these outages occurred during recordings, so I was able to track the partial recordings to these episodes.

I'm unsure if loss of audio/visual and 771 signal errors are related, but since none of the other receivers are having any of these issues, I think they must be.

5. blucas95

blucas95 Legend

Sep 26, 2006
    I'd have to check the internal temps, but it's on an open air stand below the TV - nothing on top of it at all...

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When I get a 771 code on only one of my DVRs, its fixed has always turned out to be either a lost connection in the line serving the HR or the PI.

7. blucas95

blucas95 Legend

Sep 26, 2006
    The tech came out on Saturday morning. I explained the problem and he looked around. His first suspicion was suspect wiring. He said when he gets calls for issue with the Genie's, 9 out of 10 times it is the wiring.

He replaced a few runs out at the mutli-switch that were REALLY old - over 10 years easily - he said they had no markings on them. He also switched around the ports so that if the issue goes away on the Genie but shows up on the other HR receivers we will know that it is the switch itself.

He also said that the previous installer had installed the SWM power inserter in a "non-standard" way - it had it's own run on cable and didn't use the one that was going to the Genie itself. Lastly - while fixing the cabling on the power inserter, he found a piece of cable that it looked like my stupid cat had been chewing on. He said the newer receivers are MUCH more sensitive to signal issues than the old HRs were, so he replaced that as well.

It's only been a day and a half, but so far so good - no signal issues so far.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sounds like time well spent! And don't forget to put the cat....out!

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would not have changed the power. I'd always use the dedicated power port when possible out of a swim8/16.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh and yeah. My monies on the cat chewin. Lol