1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

771 error on Sat. 2… stuck...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by bldxyz, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1 of 13
    bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    I'm wondering if anyone here has seen something like this.

I've been living outside my house while some remodeling has been going on. On Feb 15, I re-routed the coax lines from the satellite to the wall jack in my living room (disconnecting then reconnecting the same connection points). On Feb 19, the drywall guy put up drywall on the other side of the wall from the wall jacks, and did mud/sanding on Feb 20. Sometime on Feb 20, I stopped getting every channel except local channels and, like, Nickelodeon. (I can tell this from Recording history). The error message on all my channels such as HBO, COMC, etc. is no signal from Satellite 2 (771). When I check signal strength, only 101-degrees shows anything at all. All the other locations -- nothing.

I did some troubleshooting with a phone tech on Saturday.
    - Hard Reset
    - Tighten connections
    - Visit all sorts of 9xxx test channels

The tech then insisted that I had some sort of power booster somewhere on the coax line. Something that the coax line ran through that was also plugged into power. Since 2006 when I got HD, there has never been such a thing, and since I recently re-routed all the coax, I know every inch of the coax line. There are only two, small rectangular boxes (non powered) very close to the receiver -- coax in, coax out.

I have subsequently tried:
    - unplugging and then replugging all coax connections: at the receiver, at the two small boxes, at the wall plate, behind the wall plate, and at the dish.
    - inspecting the cable that is within the walls (pulling the slack in each direction)
    - re-crimping the end on the wall jack for the line for Sat 2 since the crimp job was squished (but probably has been that way since 2006).

I just don't get it.

1) Why do I get some channels and not others?
    2) What is the deal with this power device I've never had?
    3) If the line is free of (visible) defects, why did it fail on Feb 20?
    4) Any ideas how I might solve this?

Thanks to anyone who understands this better than I do. I just have some logic (it used to work) and a knowledge of the physical coax line.

2. Mar 4, 2014 #2 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What model Tivo do you have?
    Does it have two satellite coax cables connected? What happens if you swap them?

3. Mar 4, 2014 #3 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There may also be some issues with the specifications of cable and connectors used to "extend" the setup.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #4 of 13
    sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The "two rectangular boxes" are likely BBCs (BaseBand Converters). This tells me that you have an HR2x or THR22 (if you're posting here, then likely THR22). It could be that one of the BBCs has failed - this would result in a symptom similar to what you've seen. If you swap the cables at the receiver, does the problem move?

5. Mar 4, 2014 #5 of 13
    bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    Ah, swapping the BBCs is something I haven't tried!

THR22 is right.

Others on the DirecTV.com forum (to which Litzdog has replied, too) have suggested it could be dish misalignment.

I do wonder what harsh meant, since I'm not aware that the system has been extended, or, at least, the wiring setup has been the same since 2006 (with the possible addition of the BBCs at some point after that).

6. Mar 4, 2014 #6 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping the two BBC modules, both with and without swapping the SAT INPUT cables. That will help you narrow down if it's a defective BBC (problems follows the bad BBC), or a defective dish feed (problem follows the SAT INPUT cable).

Is this your only DirecTV Receiver/DVR? If you have others, do they have the same problem?

7. Mar 4, 2014 #7 of 13
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Are you sure that when the drywall went up, the drywall screws didn't nick the cable and cause some damage?

8. Mar 4, 2014 #8 of 13
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Did you check both tuners? It appears that your issue is on tuner 2

9. Mar 5, 2014 #9 of 13
    sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    You'll also want to recheck the satellite setup to make sure it doesn't think you have a SWM system.

10. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    That's sort of what I thought when I had pieced it together that the signal drop happened a day after the drywall went up. Since there is some slack int the cable, I was able to pull it through from the jack side, and then pull it back the other way from under the floor. Nothing visible on either cable, and it they both pulled through relatively easily.

11. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    I cross-posted this to the DirecTV forum and had some similar advice, but over there, they ask you to share your detailed satellite readings. Both tuners show pretty similar numbers, with a whole lot of zeroes on a whole lot of places.

The advice over there is for me to wait for my Saturday technician appointment, with some general conclusion that either the dish is misaligned or some hardware is worn out.

It seems a fascinating coincidence that it happened all at once while construction was going on. But just drywall, not like any big, heavy work.

12. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Not to hi-jack this thread regarding the drywall comment, but I do not personally know of any retired drywallers that worked until retirement age of 62, usually their bodies were trashed because of all of the big, heavy work over their employment. This coming from an electrician who sympathizes with them even though they occasionally rock over our boxes! :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I thought that was what mud rings were for. A spin with a router or a drill saw and you're good to go.