1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

771 Search-H20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ohiosnowman, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 16
    ohiosnowman

ohiosnowman Mentor

May 9, 2007
    Can anyone answer me as to why out of the blue on my HD locals would I get a 771? I have 99.9% of the time a strength of 93-95 on transponder but for no reason (at least apparent reason) I get this error. It can be rainy, dry, calm, windy, night, or day and it happens. I have watched the signal and it goes from 93 to 0 while it is happening and then goes back and stays there for days or weeks until it happens again. Each time it happens it lasts maybe 10 -30 minutes and then goes as fast as it came.

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 16
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What transponder are you checking? Your HD Locals are beamed from either the 99-deg or 103-deg W Ka-band satellites. So at least one of those satellites should have one transponder that reads in the high '90's (this is your local spot beam). If that transponder is low, or intermittent, you'll have problems receiving your HD Locals. Most likely causes are dish misalignment, defective multiswitch, cabling issues, or a defective Receiver (do all of your Receivers do this?).

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 16
    4DThinker

4DThinker Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    My H20 started 771ing today on several channels today, not just locals. Going to try a reset, although not confident that will solve this sudden problem.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 16
    zeekchic

zeekchic Cool Member

Feb 12, 2007
    My H20's started doing this a few weeks ago as well. I get horrible pixelation,freezes,blackouts,error 771 searching for satellite, etc. My satellite signals on 110 fluctuate usually in the 90's and then they drop to 0 and come back to normal again. I have had HD for a year and a half now with no problems and this just started. I don't know what is going on but I am getting very frustrated because half of the time I can't watch tv. I have a tech coming back to my house to see if my dish needs to be realigned as a new multiswitch did nothing.

5. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Zeekchic, mine started doing the same thing after the new upgrade. I have reset my box as well as unplugged it and it still occurs. I did a reset all last night and hope this fixes it. I will post my results after a day or so to see if it cleared it up. I don't think it has though because during the set up steps, my signals went to zero and failed and I had to do it a second time. I have 3 other set tops off of the same dish with no problems with signal strenth.

I am guessing this is either a software issue or a problem with the receiver.

6. Moss

Moss New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem. I am currently only getting pixelation on channels 73-78, or the 771 error message. This has been going on for a couple weeks. From my research it appears all these channels are on the 110 satellite. My signals strengths for this satellite are 42, 0, and 42 for the 3 transponders. Since I get some signal strength, is it safe to assume my dish is out of alignment vs. an LNB or multi-switch problem?

My signal strengths for all other transponders and satellites seem good (mid 70s or above).

Assuming my dish moved during a recent storm, does anyone have an educated guess if I should focus on elevation, tilt, or azimuth to get stronger 110 signals? I would like to try to fix it myself to avoid a $70 service charge by an installer.

Also, can an LNB go "bad" or be in the process of "dying", or are they just either on or off?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

7. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Well, I continued to have problems last night and called this morning. From the CSR I spoke with, they beleive my problem to be a cabling issue and not a receiver problem. I reitterated that this has only become a problem after the latest software upgrade and others have had the same issue. I placed a new cable between the receiver and the wall faceplate per the CSR. They have documented my issue and suggested I call If I have the problem again. I will keep you all posted.

8. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Hi all. Well I have not encountered any additional problems after swapping out cables. Will let you know if I have problems in the future.

9. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Well, last night I started getting the problem again. It seems to occur when watching an HD channel. When watching a local SD channel, it does not seem to occur. I will be calling again to schedule service.

10. frogg

frogg Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I was running the CE version of 2024 on my H20-600 and having the same problem. I was able to force a download back to 0F14, and it is fine. However, when the NR comes down to me with 2024, it appears that I will again have problems. D* is propelling the HR20 with much more stable CE upgrades, but the poor H20 is getting left out. So I believe this is strictly a software problem that D* should fix.

11. creesh

creesh AllStar

Jul 13, 2004
    +1

I am having the same 771 searching for signal problems with both of H20-100's. It definitely started with the new software. I know it's not a cabling problem because I have 6 HD receivers spread out throughout the house and this is only happening on my h20's, which are located in different rooms.

It happens on both MPEG4 and MPEG2 as I also get these dropouts on my Atlanta locals as well as 70-79. For some reason, I do not have these problems with 94-95. The problems are intermittent but probably show up 60% of the time. Also, all of the SD channels are fine. I've done several resets and it doesn't help.

Earl, does DirecTV know about these problems? How would I move back to the old software? This is going to be a big problem on NFL Sunday ticket days if it doesn't get resolved. I don't see any solution other than new software or I guess new boxes.

My equipment:

5 LNB dish
    Zinwell 6x8

Hr20 - 100 (2)
    H20 - 100 (2)
    Hr10-250 (2)

12. frogg

frogg Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Earl......?

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I only know about my H20-100.
    0x100C was fine for a year.
    Once D* updated it, it started crashing.
    D* [engineering] has swapped it with one that has 0x202 initially.
    I've tried the last two CEs and seen transponder problems in the setup menu, causing 771 error messages.
    Hopefully D* is still working on the software beyond version 0x202E since this was the last [and worst] I've tested.
    None of this will help you now I know.
    I post to:
    1) let you know you're not alone.
    2) D* should still be working on it.
    3) for D* to know they still need to, and hopefully read my post on the CE 0x202E thread.

14. frogg

frogg Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    OK-it's baaack. Just got NR 2024 on my H20-600, and it's back to 771 search. It eventually locks on to HD local, but slowly, and channel changes are much slower.

15. LoganSquare

LoganSquare Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    Same problems as many of the above poster's. Not new, has been ongoing for about a month or so.

Signal strength, tuner (%), on both units varying, was running a steady 76% since a last November install but now ranging from 40 to low 70's. Cloud cover and trees do not seem to be an issue.

Have two H20-100's, both running on CE202c, couldn't get the 8/23 CE as the whole area was without power.

One unit went down completely after a couple of RBR's and a complete power down. The other unit is still running.

Pixellation on channels 274 & 501, to name a couple, and applies to both H20-100's.

Early this morning the nonworking unit came back up and is working but both units still exhibit pixellation on the channels mentioned and varying signal strength.

D* to send technician out today, hopefully, to check alignment and lnb.

Time will tell.(g)

16. LoganSquare

LoganSquare Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    A follow up on my previous post.

Service tech showed up and found that a bolt had sheared off on one of the support legs of the roof mount.

Judging from the amount of rust on both halves of the bolt it would appear that it had been sheared at the time of the original installation which was back in November of 2006. The installer apparently got carried away in tightening it up. It was a carriage bolt and was apparently being held in place by the weight of the dish on the support and the shoulders of the bolt. Bad wind gusts last week apparently took some of the weight off the support leg and the bolt finally fell completely out.

A plus in this was the tech taking the time to peak the signal. Signal now being acquired at 98%. Pleasantly surprised by him doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.