1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

771 Searching for Satellite on OTA channels???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JKO, May 14, 2009.

1. JKO

JKO New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    On my HR20-700, every 3-4 days for the past few weeks I am getting 771 "searching for satellite" messages on most of my local OTA stations. When this occurs, I have checked the OTA signal strength on each affected channel and am getting stellar numbers - high 90's to 100.

This problem does not affect our local NBC affiliate, 4-1 and its subchannel, 4-2, or any of the satellite channels. Also, when this occurs, 4-1/4-2 also maps to our two local PBS affiliates, 10-1/10-2, and 36-1/36-2. A simple reboot solves the problem each time. I have had the HR20-700 for approximately 2 years, and never had this problem, which I believe started after my latest software update in mid-April.

I am guessing this is an issue with the DVR. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I have recently experienced a similar problem with the Memphis Fox affiliate's OTA frequency being mapped incorrectly. At one point, Fox was mapped to the NBC frequency. At another point, Fox was mapped to an unused frequency and got 771s. I suspect that someone, perhaps at Tribune, is mucking around with the frequency assignments for OTA. That is just an educated guess, though.

I've reset and run initial setup for OTA each time this has happened and then reset, clearing up the problem. I don't recall if I tried simply resetting the box before going through the setup again.

3. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I have an H23-600 box that's been replaced by D* three times now for just this problem - error 771.

The last time D* replaced the box they sent the techs along with the box. They showed at the house and tested things. They said "Yup your box is bad". In goes the new box and new RG-6 wiring throughout the house. They said that the old RG-6 wasn't up to D*'s spec.

Now several weeks later I'm back with the same problem - lots of 771 errors. The only time this happens is when I change channels. And the only way to clear the error is to reboot. I'm beginning to think it's not the H23 box nor the wiring but maybe the switch might be just a tad wacko. :mad:

4. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Had the same thing with my HR20-100, but only on the local FOX affiliate 7.1
    The OTA signal for this channel was the only one being afftected, I had less than 50% signal strength. I checked the connection at the attenna and noticed that the 300-75ohm connector had rust in it, swapped it out with a new one, and no more 771 for any OTA.
    My friend had the same problem on his set-up with a HR23, but it turned out to be the OTA connection at the multiswitch instead. Good luck!