1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

776 problem communicating with dish!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by iceman2a, Sep 1, 2012.

1. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    Just had a frustrating service call for an intermittent 776 error msg!
    All signal lvls are good! SWM 1 out goes to a 4 way splitter at the SWM to 2 DVR's 1 H21, SWM 2 out goes to HR34. First he tells me I have TOO many tuners off the 4 way splitter?????????? I shake my head and say ok but that's not where my problem is, they all work just fine. 2nd since this problem started on Friday 8/24 ( I'm not saying it's cuase of the software download, I'm just sayin) I added a 4 way spliiter at the tv with the hr34 just so I could add a h21 to watch tv! He said I couldn,t do that :confused: the 2 swm outputs had to be ballanced, cable length wise from the swm????? Told him I didn't need that splitter any way. He removed the splitter went directly into the hr34 everything was fine!! said ok thank you sent him on his way! Of course 5 mins later when the 776 msg came back on I called into the customer care # they gave me with the pin# and a "higher level" of technician is scheduled for Monday! Still I can't figure this one out It will go away for hours after a reset and if a chng chnls it will go away for 10 to 15 mins! If it's not the HR34 it must be the SWM16:confused:

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    776 means more than 8 tuners on each leg. I would try unplugging the swm16 power inserter and leaving it unplugged for 5 seconds. See if that works.

3. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    That was one of the first things I did when it started to happen! I did not realize that 776 meant that! Maybe it is the SWM16! What I have not tried and I was just thinking about was swapping swm1 out with swm2 out!