1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8.0 UHF remote

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Snydley, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Will an 8.0 UHF PRO remote work with a VIP622? What are the various model Dish Network remotes that will work with this receiver?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, it will work but only as a "Band A TV2" remote.

3. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    What I want to do is to run coax out from TV1 from both of my VIP622 receivers to the basement where we are building a new den. I would like to tie these 2 coax cables into some kind of splitter/combiner and set their output channels to different channels, that way when I select CH. 60 on my TV,(for example), I would get tuner 1's TV1, and selecting CH 72 would give me tuner 2's TV1 signal. I don't know if this is possible, but the other option is to use an A/B switch. I am assuming too that I can use the coax outputs and HDMI outs at the same time, if not then I've got to come up with another solution because I don't want to "give up" the TVs connected to the HDMI cables upstairs.
    I need UHF remotes that will let me control the receivers from the basement, the receivers are on the 1st floor.
    What model remotes will do this with the VIP622?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

4. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Control the receiver remotely I mean.:lol:
    Can anyone help with the remote models that work with a VIP622, or if I can combine signals from 2 VIP622s through a splitter/combiner and modulate the signals to 2 different TV channels so I can run only 1 coax from the splitter to the TV?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

5. MrDave

MrDave Cool Member

Jun 26, 2010
    You’re on the right track. I personally use 6.0, 6.2 & 6.3 remotes with my VIP 622s, but I believe that any of the later UHF Pro remotes will work as well. Someone else may be able to vouch for the later models. The only caveat with 6.0 remotes is that you must run on the default Band A if you have any 6.0 remotes (and apparently 8.0 remotes per n0qcu) in the mix. This isn’t a problem for most users (many may be unaware that there is a Band B).

If I understand you correctly, you’re running your 622s in Single Mode. If so, then TV1 & TV2 lose most of their meaning. Think of each 622 as a single server where all UHF remotes linked to TV2 operate “the box”. Ditto for IR remotes and TV1 if you wish to use them… they still operate “the box”. With a few minor exceptions (obscure menu items), it doesn’t matter where you run “the box” from… UHF on TV2 or IR on TV1. Again, in Single mode the distinction is lost. 6.n (and other) remotes are easily available on Ebay.

Regarding your coax distribution questions, you are again on the right track. You can combine your 2 modulated outputs channels 60 & 72 to a single coax and distribute them to any number of SDTVs throughout your house. If you do it correctly, you can also merge it with a CATV distribution.

Let me make a suggestion. In addition to the single coax that handles only SDTV, also consider sending HD signals to your den. You asked if you can “use the coax outputs and the HDMI outputs at the same time”. The simple answer is “yes”… in Single mode ALL outputs are active simultaneously, sending the same HD & SD signal everywhere. This gives you many options. If you wish to drive 2 HDTVs from a single DVR, you can hook one HDTV to HDMI and the other HDTV to the Component output. It’s also possible to split an HDMI output (or a Component output) using appropriate powered splitters. If you’re running cables anyway, I suggest including one or more HDMI cables (perhaps one from each 622). Then you’re ready for HD in the den whenever you have a TV that supports it. MonoPrice.com is an excellent place to buy HDMI cables, powered splitters, etc.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you a few more ideas.

MrDave

6. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Hi Mr. Dave,
    Thanks for your info., it is very informative! I guess I should have clarified a few things: I'm running both of my receivers in dual mode., I have 4 TVs hooked to them now. Receiver 1 is in the living room connected via TV1 HDMI to a Sony 52" Bravia flat screen, it's TV 2 is split and connected to the bedroom TV and the computer room by coax. Receiver 2 is in the bedroom connected to a 37" Vizio lcd TV via HDMI on TV1, it's TV2 is split and connects to the living room TV and the kitchen. This way we can use both receivers in the living room and bedroom, although partially in SD.
    What I want to do is to connect each receiver's TV1's coax out and connect them downstairs in the new den, modulate the signals to 2 different channels so that there's only 1 coax connection to the TV, and we can switch between receivers by changing the channel on the TV down there.
    Will this work in dual mode? I wonder if I can run all those TVs with just these 2 receivers? There's never more than 2 TVs turned on at once, you see, it's just me and the Mrs. here, but we want TV WHERE WE WANT TV.:lol:
    I'm trying to get around adding another receiver, my bill is $114./mo. now and I can hardly justify it. I would also have to change TV1s remotes over to UHF, that's why I originally asked about the different models that would work with the VIP622. I'll have to get 4 of them.
    As far as combining the signals on coax, what do I use, a combiner, or a diplexer?
    It would be so much easier to go back to, yuck:mad:, cable, but the cable signal is SO bad here that I really don't want to do that!
    Again, thanks for the help and I appreciate any more you might have for me, I surely appreciate it!!
    Snyde

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yes. You can combine the first 622's TV1 and that receiver's TV2. Likewise for the second receiver.

By combining those two coaxes you can have four different tuners available on each of your TVs.

8. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    What I want to do is to combine BOTH receivers TV1s. What kind of splitter/combiner/diplexer do I use for that?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You can just use a simple splitter with each of the receivers on the "Out" legs of the splitter and the distribution coax on the "In" leg.

Again, as you have both receivers in Dual Mode you will have both receivers TV1s and also both receivers TV2s.

10. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Each receiver's TV1 & 2s signals will output on the TV1 coax out of each receiver?
    Am I understanding this correctly?
    Thanks,
    Snyde

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yes.

12. MrDave

MrDave Cool Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Snydley,

I now have a better view of your situation and it brings up several more questions:

1) You list 2 HDTVs. Are either of your other 2 TVs HD capable? Will the future TV in your new den be HD capable? Keep in mind that any newly-purchased TVs will be HD capable.

2) Is there a particular reason that you want to run in Dual mode?

MrDave

13. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Hi Mr. Dave,
    1. All the other TVs are either SD CRTs, or computers,, I'm not sure if the computers are HD or not, but I'm gonna say no. To start with we'll have a 36" RCA SD CRT in the new den but eventually I want to get a new 3D TV for the living room and move the Sony Bravia to the den. That'll be some time though. I NEVER buy new technology when it first comes out, I'd rather wait until the market is saturated and the prices fall. I didn't buy my 1st big screen TV until 4 years ago, and I would have waited longer but it was my 50th birthday, and I couldn't resist.:p
    2. I run in dual mode so that we can watch 2 separate tuners on each receiver, in case I'm watching receiver1/TV1 in the living room, and the wife wants to watch receiver1/TV2 in the bedroom, OR, if the wife wants to watch receiver2/TV1 in the bedroom, and I want to watch receiver2/TV2 in the living room. That scenario rarely happens though. I set it up like that so that we can watch either receiver in the living room or bedroom, albeit in SD mode if we have to. Would there be a way to do that in single mode and be able to watch either receiver in both rooms? Is there an advantage in running them in single mode vs. dual mode?
    If you've got any suggestions on how to run this stuff better, I'm all ears!! I figured this was the only way I could run both receivers in both rooms,(living room and bedroom). The TV2 split signals to the kitchen and computer room are secondary, though the wife uses them a lot more than me.
    Thanks again for any suggestions you can offer!!!
    Snyde

14. MrDave

MrDave Cool Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Snydley,

You and I have similar situations… 2 people in the house and 2 622s and, as you so eloquently put it, “we want TV WHERE WE WANT TV”. I can tell you what works perfectly for us. Let me itemize my view of the world:

-The number of DVRs you need is determined by the number of users who need to watch different programs at the same time. PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the number of TVs. Also, it should be a crime to watch SD on a set that’s HD capable. ;)

-Run DVRs in Single mode and develop a plan for “where do I record what” to avoid conflicts at playback time. This could be as simple as “his shows on box 1 and her shows on box 2”. Our plan is “primetime shows that we both watch together on box 1 and overflow primetime, her shows that she watches in the afternoon, and my shows that I watch late at night on box 2”. Determine a plan that works for you. In four years, I can’t remember a single playback conflict at our house.

-Each 622 should be thought of as simply a signal source (a server). In single mode, it outputs a single program (or even PIP multiple screens) thru all its connectors; both HD and SD. Ignore any thoughts of TV1 and TV2 and think instead HD or SD. All connectors are hot and all provide the same programming.

Addressing the SD side first, you can combine the modulated SD outputs of multiple systems with a combiner (a splitter turned around backwards) to create your own little “cable system” with 2 channels. Then distribute it around your house just like you would any other “cable system” using splitters to any reasonable number of SDTVs.

The HD outputs are also easy to distribute. If you only want to drive 2 HDTVs, connect one to the Component output and one to the HDMI output. If you have more than 2 HDTVs you can split the HDMI signal. I've had excellent luck splitting the HDMI from each of my 622s. I use a Monoprice (item 6193) 4-way powered splitter to drive my 3 HDTVs thru cables of 12ft, 25 ft, and 50ft.

To summarize, at our house each 622 is easily viewable on any of 3 HDTVs or 3 SDTVs throughout the house. Each major viewing site has 2 clearly marked remotes (occasionally-used TVs share a set of remotes that’s moved around as necessary). Remember that remotes don't care about TV1 or TV2 when the DVR is in single mode. All remotes simply run "the box".

I can’t comment too much on Dual Mode. I’ve never seen a purpose for it in my situation, so I’ve never used it. It seems unnecessarily complicated unless you fit the exact scenario that it was created for. The physical hookups I’ve described should still work in Dual Mode, but I won’t attempt to explain the operational differences.

MrDave

15. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    Hey Mr. Dave,
    Great info., thank you! I'll take all of this into consideration and see what I can come up with. Maybe we can get by in single mode. One other question I had, the coaxial output on TV1 is that HD or SD? If HD great, if SD then I'm gonna have to split my HDMI signals eventually when I get the HD TV in the den. For awhile it'll just be an SD CRT so it won't matter. I may eventually just buy a single tuner HD receiver, or DVR and just rent the service. It'll all depend on just how much television is watched down there.
    Thanks again for your input!,
    Snyde

16. MrDave

MrDave Cool Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Snydley,

A single Coax cable can only carry SD signals. The same is true for the S-Video and the composite (yellow RCA plug) connectors.

HD can only be carried on an HDMI cable or on a set of Component cables (a bundle of 5 cables from the Y, Pb, and Pr ports plus L&R audio).

Unless you have major problems with routing new cables, I can't see why you'd ever want to pay the expense for an additional DVR/receiver. Review bullet point 1 above.:)

MrDave