1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811 and no more VCR (DVDR) recording

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by c_caz, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    I use my 811 as a poor mans 921 and record to my Pioneer 520H DVDRecorder that is set up as a VCR with my 811. It has worked great as all I do is pick future shows in the guide to watch (just like my 510 upstairs) and select the recording to VCR. At the time of recording the 811 switches on (if off), to the correct channel and via VCR blaster it starts recording on my Pioneer 520H.

This has worked great for me for like 6 months. Not today however. Just simply will not kick off the recording on the Pioneer 520H.
    If I take the Dish remote and select VCR and click record on it manually it works.
    If I setup a second timer on the Pioneer it works, but thats a bit more painful.
    The 811 and the Pioneer were both rebooted to see if that fixed anything.
    I changed the batteries in the Dish remote, it has not received a recent software update (still at 284), and I even factory defaulted it. No help.

Anyone have opinions on what's up? The 811 is a December 03 model. It has worked fairly well up to this point.

2. rwold1

rwold1 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Did you physically move either the 811 or 520? My timers for the 520 weren't firing after moving them into a new cabinet with smoked glass doors. I found that the timers would fire with the glass doors open but not closed. Also placed a piece of cardboard over the two ir ports and then timers would fire even with the glass doors closed. Not very esthetic, but functional.

3. c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    Good question... it's not been moved. It is behind glass so I tried again with the glass open... no help. The remote has a clear line of sight to the 811 and the DVD player (basically sitting right in front of the two components.) Very frustrating!

All I can think of is the IR blaster part of my 811 is no longer working. I have an actual VCR around, maybe I try to see if that works just to test whether its the 811 or some other thing. Sucks.

How much for a 942?

4. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    Lowest I've seen for a 942 is about $649 perhaps you can find it lower as I haven't looked all that hard though.

5. c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    $649, that's a lot of $. I went through and added most of my weekly recordings to my DVDR as well. I guess that's what I'm going to have to do for awhile. I'd actually buy a 942 today if it wasn't for the MPEG4 news.

6. KKlare

KKlare Godfather

Sep 24, 2004
    The remote is not involved in the start and stop commands. The Dish receiver "blasts" the IR into the room itself. Any cardboard or such just reflects the blast perhaps closer to the recorder.

Note that in general you have to turn on the recorder and select the proper input because Dish will only start and stop.
    -Ken

7. c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    Really, the remote has no function? Huh. I may need to try moving things around then. The Dish box is in the same cabinent, above the DVDR, but on a different shelf. I wonder if one of the components got slid further back when cleaning and now is missing the other.

Appreciate the reply. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.