1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811 - P3.87 Software Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Mikey, May 4, 2007.

1. May 4, 2007 #1 of 18
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Dish says it's out there as of yesterday. Any reports from the field?

2. May 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    OregonDuck

OregonDuck Cool Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Nothing here. Still have P3.84.
    What is P3.87 going to correct?

3. May 6, 2007 #3 of 18
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You should check that thread more often. First spool reported here.

4. May 6, 2007 #4 of 18
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Again, has anybody seen it on their receiver yet? Any impact on anything?

5. May 6, 2007 #5 of 18
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Check if your 811 R00xxx number in that spooling range.

6. May 7, 2007 #6 of 18
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Response:

This is a fix for customers that were still on P384 SW, to ensure their check switch settings remained intact after downloading the new SW (a problem for some customers that was introduced in the P385 release).

P386 did not target P384 (only P383 and P385) as we needed this additional fix that is now contained in P387.

P387 should go out to the entire 811/381 customer base later this week and get everyone back on one version of SW again.

7. OregonDuck

OregonDuck Cool Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Thanks Jason for your explanation on the new update that even us nubes can understand.

8. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Your welcome

9. DoteDote

DoteDote New Member

May 10, 2007
    Obviously I'm new to these forums, my first post. But I came across the forum, naturally, due to a problem with my 811 receiver. I have the "Vital Information being downloaded..." message on my screen with no power light on the receiver. There is also no error code (unless it is in the overscan area of the screen). And after not touching the receiver for appx. 12 hours, the message was still displayed with no change.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which software version was currently intalled. The receiver is very old. I bought it and had it hooked up just in time to see the infamous Janet Jackson Super Bowl fiasco (literally!).

Also unfortunately, I'm not sure the status of the receiver prior to this lock-up. I have the RF remote, and the receiver tends to receive errant remote commands. I noticed the receiver was powered on, but I wasn't watching TV. So, I powered it off via the front-panel button. The receiver did not switch off. I then noticed the orange "OTA" light was on. While the receiver will sometimes be switched to channels I don't watch (sometimes it switches channels while I'm watching), I also find that sometimes it switches to the OTA input. However, I no longer use the receiver for OTA (my TV tunes 8VSB).

Past experience tells me that when the receiver was left in OTA mode for too long, it would lock-up. So, without turning on the TV so see what was on-screen, I did what I always did during lock-ups... I held the power-button for 10-secs to reset. It's always worked in the past. But it seems from this forum, that I might have interrupted an update.

It may be a non-issue, because I've already called to have Dish Net upgrade me to the 211 receiver on Sunday (along with the oblong dish that receives several more HD sat channels than I received before.) But, I wanted to add my experience in the event it is helpful at all.

10. rjs

rjs Mentor

Jun 15, 2006
    Got 387 last night ,had 384,I have my local guide info back!!!!:) :)

11. showtz

showtz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Me too! I've been waiting for months for the OTA info to come back!

12. OregonDuck

OregonDuck Cool Member

Feb 3, 2007
    I also got the P3.87 upgrade yesterday and have a couple of questions.
    A couple of months ago I subcribed to get the locals for the EPG that I lost on the last P3.84 update. Are you guys now receiving the EPG for local OTA?
    Can I now cancel the locals without losing EPG for local OTA?
    I also noticed that the EPG is now broken into 1/2 hour segments for the local EPG instead of 1 hour segments that the show is actually broadcast.

13. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Most of the guys that had this problem lost OTA data even though they werte subbed to locals. In most cases this was cause they could receive more than 1 adjacent DMA via OTA.

14. Donp

Donp Legend

May 2, 2006
    I just checked and I have the 3.87 and have not noticed any changes yet but I have been out of town all weekend. Got my locals back in the last "P" upgrade befor this one.

15. showtz

showtz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Yes, I have EPG info with P3.87 and I do not subscribe to locals.

16. showtz

showtz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Anyone have the release notes for 3.87?

17. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    See post #6, then see the P384 and the P386 notes.

Jason