1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811 Remote (battery usage)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Drago, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drago

Drago New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    I did some searching and didn't find anything. Is anyone else experiencing high battery usage/consumption with the 811 remote? It seems like I am changing batteries every 2-3 weeks and really don't spend a lot of time using the remote (i.e. channel surfing, moving throughout the guide, etc.). Just wondering...

2. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm at 8+ weeks and still going strong with lots of usage...

Maybe your dog sleeps on it while you are gone??? ;)

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    When I had my 6000, I had to switch to rechargeable batteries because the remote would go through a set every 3 weeks.

4. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    Be careful of where you store your remote when not in use. My wife has a habit of cramming it into a remote holder that also has a TV Guide in it. The buttons get depressed and it sends out a signal for all the time it sits that way.

5. shivane

shivane New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    My 811 remote had the same problem. In fact, it died about one week after putting brand new (Dish) batteries in it. I assumed the batteries from DISH were defective so I put a fresh set of Energizers in it. Same problem, it died after a week again. I called Dish and they mailed me a brand new remote the next day. I have not had any problems since. More than likely your remote is defective and should be replaced.

6. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    My 811 remote is over 2 months and still working, think I Have Duracells installed with a fair amount of use..

Rechargables are good for digicams where you use them in short order after a charge and they maintain their charge until that last shot. They can lose a certain percentage of their charge each day after a full charge merely by sitting on the shelf..

7. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    When I purchased my 921, the remote that came with it would go through an entire set of batteries (4x AAAs) in about 3-5 days. Literally you would put in brand new batteries, and less than a week later (even with only moderate use), the "SAT" light on the remote would be very dim when you pushed the buttons and the 921 would complain "Remote Batteries Low". The remote was always stored face-up on a table, never somewhere where the buttons would be constantly being pressed.

After going through 3 sets of batteries, blaming myself that maybe the batteries were old or corroded in some way, I eventually got Dish to replace the remote. I haven't replaced the batteries yet, but then it's only been about 2 weeks at this point, so I can only knock on wood.

8. Drago

Drago New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Thanks everyone...I should have added that after the first two sets of batteries went bad, I gave the wife, the kids and the dog a piece of my mind for messing with my remote. I called Dish last night about this (and some other problems I've been having with the 811) and they are sending a new remote. Apparently it's not the first remote to experience this problem.

Now I just need to buy some flowers for the wife, toys for the kids and a bone for the dog before the replacement arrives.

9. IanF

IanF AllStar

Jan 13, 2004
    Nothing people like more than a good, stern lecture. My wife nearly killed me last year when I whipped up a joke Powerpoint "Performance Review" for her and the kids. :) On the bright side, apologies and flowers will buy you a lot: my wife now lets me sleep inside the house, though only so far as the mudroom...

10. bytre

bytre Legend

Sep 10, 2003
    I use rechargables in my MX500 and my 811/921 remote. The 811/921 hasn't had to be changed yet (about 4 weeks), the MX500 lasts about a month on a charge.

11. fisherman

fisherman Cool Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Haha- I thought I must be crazy. I've been through 2 sets of batteries on my 811 remote and I was trying to figure out how to explain this to Dish without them thinking I am completely crazy. Glad to hear it's a known issue.

Forgot to include that the 4 AAA's lasted about 1 week each changeout.

12. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    I bet the dog was the first to forgive you... That's why I like dogs... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.