1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811 Update

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by chastulsa, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2004 #1 of 67
    chastulsa

chastulsa Mentor

Dec 4, 2003
    I called when my 811 was displaying odd charaters in the guide menu. I talked to csr and they couldnt fix it. Xfered me to tech and hey had me to a reboot. Which fixed it. I asked about he sw update for 811 and he said his screen does not show it. He does have a 265 update which has no ETA. He thought he heard end of the month. Didnt see a 2.64 update anywhere. He asked some people in the room as well.

Whats up? Is it coming or not!!!!!

2. Mar 2, 2004 #2 of 67
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I found on other site the list:
    ------------------------------
    P264 spooling for small amount of serial numbers:
    1010 LABA [3]
    1011 LABA [3]
    1010 LABD [65]
    1011 LABD [66]
    1010 LADD [14]
    1011 LADD [12]
    1010 LABD [2]
    --------------------------------
    We saw the practice many times, we need a patience I guess :).

3. Mar 2, 2004 #3 of 67
    wileadams

wileadams Mentor

Dec 6, 2002
    Well, I fall under one of those, but have not received anything, yet... Let's hope it comes tonight.

4. Mar 2, 2004 #4 of 67
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Make sure your unit if OFF maybe.. when trying to D/L the version

And maybe at Menu somewhere - chose: "Download future versions without my permission" (or something like that) ... if it's not set for That already...

5. Mar 2, 2004 #5 of 67
    Hemway

Hemway Cool Member

Aug 14, 2003
    What software upgrade? First they say the upgrade will be available at the end of the month, but they have been saying that for 3 months now. Now the latest word is the software upgrade will be out 3/2. Folks, lets us not forget we're dealing with Dish here, so the question that needs to be asked is, "what year"?

6. Mar 2, 2004 #6 of 67
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your sarcasm is exceeded only by your cynicism.

7. Mar 2, 2004 #7 of 67
    bobrlynn

bobrlynn New Member

Dec 13, 2003
    811 updated to 2.64 on mine tues.eve. Receiver was off.

8. Mar 2, 2004 #8 of 67
    Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Gee, Dish said 3/2. You're already bashing Dish and 3/2 isn't even over. How do you explain that some people are reporting that they are now getting the new update if you say that Dish won't deliver the update? Looking forward to your explanation. And it sounds like a great update. I'm going to turn off my 811 now to get it. Will you apologize to Dish?

9. Mar 2, 2004 #9 of 67
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    He's just venting frustration stemming from a continuous pattern of poor product devolopment and support. He doesn't need to apologize to Dish. It is a company. Dish should apologize for releasing the 811 with not only a multitude of bugs, but basic features not even working at all.

FYI, the update is not great. It's good. It addresses basic problems in the EPG, including mapping of locals. The EPG now works almost as it should have out of the box.

It doesn't fix the DishPro/148 error. I don't know if it fixes any of the many other issues. We'll see.

10. Hemway

Hemway Cool Member

Aug 14, 2003
    I'm impressed with Dish. They did come out with the update on 3/2 as stated.

This looks like it fixed the guide problem (or lack of) and the video in guide. My SD output looks a little darker then it did before, but according to the last Technical Chat, the dark SD picture isn't going to be fixed for awhile. I'll just have to brighten the video on that port like I did before.

11. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    I'd be a little more impressed if the f'ing thing worked the way it was supposed to, out of the box.

But that's me.

12. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    Luckily, most aren't you :)

Ken

13. Hemway

Hemway Cool Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Upgraded to P264.
    This morning I played with it a little before work.

I powered the 811 down last night before going to bed. This morning I wanted to see how far out the guide went. I started scrolling into the future, and at about 24 hours, it stopped and started downloading information. This display shows a progress bar and downloads fairly fast. Once the download completed, I had to start scrolling again from the beginning (current time). It went out 45 hours into the future. No more big screen of waiting of download, gets wife off my back. Still no local info in guide for local DTV channels, but didn't expect that.

Yes, the video now shows up in the guide (if you have that activated), nice to have that back (gets the wife off of my back here too).

In the locals setup, there is a new option to display the Dish locals (if you subscribe) or the OTA analog locals in the guide at their regular number. If you add them to the guide they are a different color and end in'-00'.

Guide still does not retain mapping of all of the DTV channels to analog numbers. It does it when you initially add them to the list, but after you view that channel, it displays as its digital number.

SD picture is still darker the the HD output, but that fix wasn't expected with this upgrade.

I can't speak to the audio problems some are having because I don't have it setup through a DD5.1 system yet.

14. Iceman

Iceman Cool Member

Dec 7, 2003
    I agree with you. You kinda want to say thanks to Dish for the software patch, but at the same time you want to cuss them out for bringing out this bug box months too early. I don't feel like I owe them a appology for bashing them or the 811 receiver, nor do I feel like I should say thank you when the thing should have been working better than it is now when it was installed by Dish. At least it's better than it twas.

15. Jeff Maus

Jeff Maus Guest

How do you reboot the 811? I got a freebie on Monday (1 yr subscription required), and want to verify that I can use the 811 as an OTA receiver once my 1-year subcription is completed. I thought I could try remving my card and rebooting the box to see if it works?

Any comments about needing to be subscribed to receive OTA? Another user indicated it would work as long as I was connected to the dish. Can anyone else confirm/deny? Also, if that is true, do I need the dish pointed at the satellite, or can I just connect the 811 to the LNB and then hide the LNB behind my TV? Thanks for any input!

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    If you cancel HD programming package after your year is up, you will still need to maintain a signal lock to use the 811 for OTA reception only. Positioning the LNB behind your TV will not work unless you use smoke and mirrors. ;)

17. chenrikson

chenrikson Mentor

Feb 2, 2004
    How is the "Check Switch" problem? I haven't had any problems yet -- If that was fixed, it would be a big help. The Guide is really nice to use now. I haven't gotten the CC custom settings to work, but may be doing something wrong. The "teach" function is a help.

Craig

18. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Exactly!!!!

Personally, I think they should offer a credit for each month this roach motel doesn't work as promised.

There are still major issues:
    -148 bird not recognized when using DP switch and LNB (VERY major issue)
    -OTA Digital remapping to frequency instead of assigned channel number.
    -No OTA EPG program info
    -No Dish Interactive (OpenTV channel 100)
    -Dark SD output image

19. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    At least the CC works now! Mine would stop after a short while, and require power off/on or re-booting to get it back.

20. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    -OTA Digital remapping to frequency instead of assigned channel number.
    As posted in other threads, this may have to do with the broadcast signal. Others have seen this same issue with other STB's. *might* be an issue that is 811 independent.
    http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=54727&postcount=91

-No OTA EPG program info
    Isnt the current fix putting OTA channels "next to" the DISH local? Isnt this adequate? Hardly a MAJOR ISSUE, but thats just my opinion.

-No Dish Interactive (OpenTV channel 100)
    LOL i wonder how many use this feature. I for one have used it twice in 2 years. Maybe some like it because its something to bitch about on the 811.

-Dark SD output image
    Will be fixed in the next patch.

I KNEW that it was a matter of HOURS from the SW release (which fixed what it was expected to do) before the usual suspects come out, furious that other issues arent fixed, or furious about the OLD ISSUE that the 811 had these problems to begin with. YAWN :new_sleep There will ALWAYS BE BUGS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.