1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

811 vertical pixellating, grey side bars?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by drjlo, Mar 27, 2005.

1. drjlo

drjlo Mentor

Apr 14, 2004
    I don't know what happened. 811 was finally working without major bugs with P284, but recently it's doing funny things. Don't have P285 yet.

Sometimes when I turn on the 811 in the morning, DISH SD channels are exhibiting clearly visible vertical pixellation, vertical lines looking like saw tooth. I have to hard reboot to fix it. It does not happen on OTA channels or DISH high def channels, only in DISH SD channels.

Also, certain OTA channels suddenly are giving me gray side bars instead of black side bars, EVEN in "normal" mode, not in "gray bar" mode. Mainly CBS OTA and channel 11 (KTLA in Los Angeles). Is this 811 issue or TV station issue?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I am in LA area.. CBS is know doing Gray Bar on 4x2 content. NOt sure about Fox. There is a gray bar format on the 811. Use the PgUp and PgDown to toggle to different stretch modes. Last I checked Fox is not. I will check to see.

As to the pixelation. that is hard. SD content isnt the best. It clears up with a soft reboot?

3. drjlo

drjlo Mentor

Apr 14, 2004
    Why on earth would TV stations use the annoying gray bars instead of black bars?? I much prefer the black bars, which distract me less.

Actually, I meant channel 9, KCAL, not 11 that's getting gray bars.

The pixellation is almost like vertical lines became wavy and boxy. It does go away with hard or soft reboot. It's been kind of rainy and cloudy lately here in LA, so I wonder if 811 is acting funny when SD satellite feed becomes weaker but fixes itself after reboot?? But why doesn't that happen with DISH HD channels, I have no idea..

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I am in OC. Have you changed anything? WHat is your resolution? Does it occur on different output resolution? Do you see it both DVI, component, svideo, composite? Is it on a particular channel or all channels when it happens? what is the frequency of it happening?

The grey bars on 9 and 2 are recent changes and are from the source. (Last Month or so).

5. LG811User

LG811User Legend

Jan 11, 2005
    CBS KTLA is putting the grey bars on at the source.

Personally, I like grey bars better than black; they avoid burn-in on CRTs.

6. Foxbat

Foxbat Legend

Aug 1, 2003
    Sounds like the infamous "showerdoor" issue described in this thread. Does this look like what you saw?

7. drjlo

drjlo Mentor

Apr 14, 2004
    Yup, that's exactly what I saw. "Showerdoor"! What a funny name for an 811 defect. It hasn't happened again so far (fingers crossed).

8. Foxbat

Foxbat Legend

Aug 1, 2003
    drjlo,
    I use the term "showerdoor" because, growing up, that's the kind of glass our shower door had in it.

Now that P2.87 is here, (so they say!) (I'll be patient...) (again...) hopefully this issue is behind us 811 owners.