1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9/11 Air traffic control live audio

Discussion in 'The OT' started by TBlazer07, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    "The Story of the FAA and NORAD Response to the September 11, 2001 Attacks"

This is all the air to ground communications along with G to G throughout the day in chronological order. Over 150 audio recordings along with the transcripts. There is some real chilling stuff here. Listen to it rather than reading the transcripts or follow the transcripts.

http://www.rutgerslawreview.com/2011/full-audio-transcript/

I was a field tech back then working in NYC and would take the Path from Newark to WTC station arriving around the time the first plane hit. Was running late that day and fortunately never made my local connection into Newark Penn to catch the Path.

What were you doing on that day?

2. Sep 8, 2011 #2 of 11
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Watching it all live on TV, all day. Never went to work. Never called in. Just sat and watched.

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Watched that morning during breakfast on TV, it was unreal - like horror movies ... Went to work.

4. Sep 9, 2011 #4 of 11
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Semi-retired at the time, just working A/V mostly on weekends...glued to tv and wept almost every day for a month. Remember when Dan Collins and others here we knew as NYers finally came back on...we were so relieved they were alive and (physically) ok. Very painful times, painful recollections...not much less so today. I expect to weep more as Sunday approaches

God Bless All -- Never Forget. _||_

5. Sep 9, 2011 #5 of 11
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    That was what I wrote under my pseudonym freakmonkey in the the thread ix/xi/mmi on 9/12/2003 back when the OT was called Potpourri. What a crazy day 9/11/2001 was.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #6 of 11
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Arrived at work...

Some one said someone crashed a plane into the WTC... everyone thought it was a put-put cesna type plane. Then we heard it was bigger, and the internet news sites all basically crashed/overload.

I dialed my mom's work and told her to put me on hold, because their hold music was the local news radio station.

Then we got a TV feed in the building, just in time for plane #2.

My Wife was downtown Chicago, to clean out her desk and say good bye to her coworkers, as she just got done with Maternity leave... It was also her birthday (she is a 9/11 birthday).. So they were to have a double lunch party for her.

Basically told her to get on what ever train left downtown next, don't care where... just to get out and I would drive to get here where ever she ended up...

Very odd and strange drive home, listing to the radio... and then driving past O'Hare airport with absolutely no planes in the air.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 11
    kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    another link with the actual audio and a map showing all of the hi-jacked planes.

chilling

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/08/nyregion/911-tapes.html

I was driving into work when I heard the first reports of "an aircraft has just struck the World Trade Center"... Got into work and to a TV, and that was where I stayed most of the day.

I was used to hearing FedEx blasting off from MEM, but it was real quiet for days.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #8 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    What I found most horrifying was the train station where I parked for my almost daily commute to the WTC Path station had 3 cars that were never removed. According to my friend in the PD who ticketed all the illegal parked cars there 2 of them belonged to WTC fatalities. They weren't from our town.

Also, as Earle stated WRT air traffic, I am about 5 miles south of EWR and my home is right in the EWR departure flight path. It was eerily silent for the next week with all air-traffic shut down. I also found NYC very strange for the next few weeks. You would hear virtually no cabs and other vehicles constantly blowing their horns as is normal in NYC. People seemed to respect each other and the city was quite different. That didn't last long though.

9. Sep 9, 2011 #9 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    WOW ..... thank you for sharing that again. I was glad to get to the end and read she was OK.

10. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I was working at home on a sister company emergency database revision without any TV or radio on. My neighbor called and told me to turn on my TV, and I got to see the 2nd plane hit, and the second tower fall.

11. ransz28

ransz28 New Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I started a new job so I had no idea what happened, and then I never thought it was real.