1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

921 to get OpenTV by the end of 2005

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Cyclone, Aug 8, 2005.

Will Dish deliver on OpenTV with the 921 by the end of 2005?

1. Yes - I believe!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - Its as likely as Name based recording.

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Aug 8, 2005 #1 of 58
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    On the August 2005 tech forum tonight, Renee Darby said that the 921 would get OpenTV support by the end of the year. Its in beta now I think she said.

2. Aug 8, 2005 #2 of 58
    gpflepsen

gpflepsen Guest

ZZzzzzzzzz...............

3. Aug 9, 2005 #3 of 58
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I voted Yes.

4. Aug 9, 2005 #4 of 58
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Umm put in a I hope so.. lol... I voted yes to be positive...

5. Aug 9, 2005 #5 of 58
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Boy.... I sure hope not.. Sounds like a big software change and I got to wonder what ghosts in the 921 code base it would summing. I personally have never found a need for OpenTV maybe now it provides more value add and would be a welcomed feature.

Wonder why they feel the need to add it by years end if MPEG4 will be rolling out. Seems like lot of risk with a very short opportunity window.

I voted no because if it does happen, I am not sure what it means in regards to MPEG4 and the 921 users.

P.S. Lets try to keep this one from wondering down the rathole. ;)

6. Aug 9, 2005 #6 of 58
    jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    Sure when dish gives free guide, they've promised openTV a long time ago. Fix our existing bugs before attempting new features.

They also mentioned that they dish pod players will download via USB (both 1.0 and 2.0) but didn't say if that includes the 921's USB 1.0 port. Nor did they discuss mpeg4 recievers, the 129 sat (dish1000) or future of more Voom.

Are you ready for L219 this Thursday?

7. Aug 9, 2005 #7 of 58
    Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I completely agree with you. Look what happened after Dish added the local guide information. A huge disaster that the 921 still hasn't recovered from. Another major addition to the software will be another disaster for the 921. Can't people learn from past experiences? The 921 is barely resuscitatable. Why put a bullet into it's head?

8. Aug 9, 2005 #8 of 58
    Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    You're assuming everyone wants this. The poll isn't valid unless it has an option of "No, I don't want OpenTV".

9. Aug 9, 2005 #9 of 58
    David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Sure, I believe. Just don't care. I think they should be spending thier time on bug fixes and cleaning up the GUI.

They have been working on Open TV for the 721 for a LONG time. Code can probably be ported from there.

10. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I voted yes as well since I was told it was already working. :)

However it wont be able to play most of the functions at release (just like the 942 and 721 dont have a lot of the features that other receivers have such as Karaoke, Games and other items.)

11. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And I would certainly vote no on opentv. I need my dvr to be a dvr and nothing else.

12. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Hey! start another poll to determine if this is a desirable feature on the 921. Personally, I don't like Mitch Miller and sing along garbage in my Home Theater.
    Bah Humbug! :D

This poll is about whether you "believe" the bad actors on the Tech show when they tell you something will happen or not. I voted no because I have never seen Renee predict anything with any degree of accuracy. Here's how you can tell when Renee doesn't even believe what she is instructed to say... She smirks and rocks slightly side to side while talking. I didn't see the show but I've seen her delivery and observed her accuracy from the past. She is not a good liar! The only question I have about this is what Scott said, i.e., it is already working.

Opinion- I can live without this "OpenTV" nonsense. If it can be added without causing any grief, fine, but like others I have serious doubts the development team will be able to do that and doubt the beta team will discover obvious bugs either. I suspect that this OpenTV will also be a revenue generator for Dish so it probably has great priority over unimportant stuff like 921 hard drive failures and PSIP guide compliance.

13. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    My Guess – A feeble attempt at pacification of the “true believers” regarding promissory obligations – yeah right! :sure: Hopefully it gets the atypical sweeping under the rug – which it should. :D Demons already abound, why conjure more? :eek2: Unless of course, Don is correct about its revenue generation potential. Yeah! Karaoke sing-a-long with Charlie – only $3.99 per tune! Ah the miracles of modern technology… :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    I was told before that it was working but buggy do to a video driver problem but that it would be fixed with a new driver (this was 4 months ago if not longer)

Its not that hard of a plug in actually. I have seen some thing that they have done which will never see the light of day. Many requests that people have made for new features have already been done so that the concept works, next its up to legal and management to give a yes or no to the new features.

The 921 itself has been a sore subject, I have been contacted by a few big politicians about the 921 and about its issues. Dish needs to look like it is still working on it to keep them out of really hot water. Myself I say even with OpenTV that the 921 is dead.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If E* really wanted to get themselves out of "really hot water" they should give-up the nonsense of us having to subscribe to LIL's in order to get guide data.

BTW: Is the OTA guide data one of the 921 issues these "big politicians" are aware of?

(my sig says it all)

16. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    No the two issues I was contacted for regarding the 921 was Firewire and Dish Home.

17. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    My answer is yes, but fix the existing problems first and make sure it doesn't break anything else!

18. Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone Godfather

Aug 11, 2003
    I couldn't agree more, Don. Why would anyone waste their time working on something a small fraction of a very small group will ever use (and even if they do, for how long?)?

Brad

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

Yea, what ever became of all those questions you answered for the folks???? Did it die because E* came up with some $'s to shut someone up ;)

20. VoomVoom

VoomVoom Cool Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Before I vote.... Can someone please tell me what "Open TV" is.??????