1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

942 and Digital tuner,(FIXED)

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Jeff McClellan, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, I found out the problem. I was having terrible pixilation with the 942 and a certain PBS station. Signal strength was 78. With my Sony internal tuner no problems. I have a channel master 4228 with a pre-amp. I couldnt figure out why the picture broke up with a signal strength that high. So today I did away with the pre-amp and WOW. Signal streght wentt down some on all channels but picture quality was perfect. The one that was breaking up was perfect, even in a heavy thunderstorm that just went through. So the 942 does have a little issue with multi-pathing but before you complain, if you have a pre-amp, disconnect it and see what happens. Now if they just wouldnt put those new HD channels at 61 I would be back in hog heaven.

2. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    You should be able to see 61 from NC

3. vivek1263

vivek1263 Cool Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Jeff what is the lowest signal strength on your 942 which gives you a good picture. I have two of my channels that show a strength of 68. I am afraid that if I take my preamp out it will lower the signal strength too much. ABC on my 921 has a signal strength of 100- 105 which the 942 refuses to recognize at all and the NBC with a signal strength of 68 has a lot of pixellation. I will try your experiment anyway and let you know. I hope it works because the OTA of the 942 is driving me nuts! At least you seem to have come out with an explaination so that we can pass it on to dish network that they can fix it in a future software upgrade.

Vivek

4. srbigbutt

srbigbutt Mentor

Apr 24, 2005
    I doubt that this will be a permanent fix. Every time I think I got it pegged and figured out I start getting reception problems. It usually lasts a couple days then different channels start messing up

5. Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    so far permanent. 62 is the lowest lock I have seen. This channel is mapped to 15, another is mapped to vhf 14. that is the one causing the multipath issue. but yeah, it workrd.

6. vivek1263

vivek1263 Cool Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Jeff

No luck here. Took out the channel master preamp. Signal strength on all channels dropped. NBC which was pixelated with a strenght of 68 disappeared and ABC that has never showed up on the radar screen for the 942 (can see it clearly with a signal strength of 105 on 921 is still not recognized). So I am not convinced that in my case the preamp is an issue. It is the darned OTA decoder that is not working properly in my 942 as it also appears to be with sributt. If only they can send me another 942 to find out if this is receiver specific or a general problem with the OTA of the 942. There has been no reply from Dishnetwork for 3 days now. My only hope now is that more people will report these issues and they will hopefully wake up to our concerns. Of course we are the guinea pigs for Dish Network so we should not expect too much.

Vivek

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Vivek - if you want to try for a swapout, email me all of your receiver information, phone number, name on your account, and describe the problem and what you've done to troubleshoot, and I'll forward it to the 942 support people that can either give you other ideas, or may swap out your 942 for another one.

Note, I said email, not PM, please.