1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

942 and MPEG-4

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Orcatek, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orcatek

Orcatek Legend

May 1, 2003
    After reading the info on the 942, it looks like adding MPEG-4 will be pretty easy.

The USB port will have enough bandwidth to support and external box to provide the conversion. Seems like it should be fairly simple to do for any box that has the USB port. This would allow them to use one external device for several of their current receivers.

2. LASooner

LASooner Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    In other headlines, Middle East Crisis "a snap to fix" :sure:

3. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    As stated OVER and OVER again, and Mark can attest:

THE 942 RECEIVER IS NOT MPEG4 COMPATIBLE OR UPGRADABLE!

Yes, you've heard it here, maybe not first.

Thank You

4. Orcatek

Orcatek Legend

May 1, 2003
    Yeah I heard that - but doesn't make any sense.

It would be a business decision and not a technology decision to prevent mpeg-4 on the 942.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's your opinion.
    E* engineering (who apparently have more information) differ.

JL

6. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Let not forget. EVERYTHING is upgradable. You just have to plan for it.

All Dish has to do is have everyone send in there 942s, they take the MotherBoard out and then put in the new MPEG4 one, then over night air it back to the customer.

That is if that plan to do that. They would need to plan for this soon so there new Mpeg4 Main board design fits in the 942 box. The IDE, Power, and button cords would also need to fit the same.

I wonder if there smart enough to think of this?

7. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Maybe one of the Tivo upgrade websites could do the mpeg4 upgrades for a price. You can send in your tivos now to get larger hard drives , so why not send them in for mpeg4 motherboard upgrades. It is only a matter of time before someone does it for a price of course. The only problem I see is if Dish objects to it and sues to stop it.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe the USB ports are not 2.0... but are 1.0... and not bi-directional (for instance, my computer USB port I can use to print to my printer... but the software diagnostics cannot retrieve usage statistics from my printer because of the lack of support for this feature in my computer USB port).

Also... I've known computer companies to not fully support their USB ports for various reasons... they put a USB port on the board to support a specific feature they need, but don't test it for any other purpose... OR they have a port on board because it comes standard that way but they don't actually support it in the BIOS.

Short story... not all USB ports are created equal!

And even with that... Dish themselves have been pretty adamant that no current or planned (like 942 that hadn't been released at the time they were talking about it) box would support an upgrade to MPEG4.

Probably Dish has done the math and realized that trying to create a box now that supports features they may or may not convert to in the next couple of years... is less cost-effective than just putting out boxes for other new features now... and either freebie upgrading everyone OR charging a small upgrade price later.

Kinda works like this when I buy parts for my computer... A good generic example is... Today I could buy a new motherboard and fastest CPU... but I pay through the nose for it... vs buying a slower CPU that is dirt cheap and motherboard now... then a year from now buying a new motherboard and faster CPU when the price has come down... I've done this dozens of times and all-said-and-done the sum cost of both systems was less than if I'd tried to go all-out with the first purchase!

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I certainly wouldn't want an integral part of the video processing such as a MPEG4 conversion module dangling off of the back of the unit via USB.

JL

10. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    All in all it's a moot point. We really won't know and can only guess until someone at E* releases a press release about what is actually going to happen and when......till then, get over it and buy it if you feel it's worth it.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It has been discussed on the Charlie Chats as well. The MPEG4 compatable receivers will be released later. The 942 is not and will not be MPEG4.

JL

12. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    And that is the way I understand it. A temporary stop gap measure until they figure out how/when to deploy an MPEG-4 box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.